ReefCleaners.org

Refugium / or not

snookface1

I a newbe and and planning a new system. I was planning a true nano system with only LR/Sand system. As i read the post there seems to be a cross between natual and refugium systems. Whats UP?

A refugium is natural, the benefit of a refugium is that you increase the systems ability to deal with nitrates.. Live rock and live sand work great for reducing wastes through ammonia and nitrite but in our small systems it stops at nitrates.. So you need to come up with additional methods to export nitrates. Many use weekly water changes with strict control over nutrient input and are rather successful. A refugium allows u to have a slightly heavier bioload (depending on size of the refugium) and aids in nutrient export via the harvesting of macro algae growth.

ya need to look up the meaning of refugium and discover what it stands for then think about what kind ya want there many different kinds but basically.

a refugium is a safe place for things to grow that would not other wise surivie in the main system.

do some searchs and you will find some links to great examples

natural filtarion is using the life in the tank to filter the water naturally and using the water changes as your filtration read up on this under information tab on the of every page

Archived