Cultivated Reef

help - clown attacking feather duster

johnsmb

Ok - this is long winded, but I don't want my feather duster to die...

My 25g tank has been set-up about 2 months with no problems until this. I got 35 pounds live rock from an established tank and it came with 3 feather dusters and 2 clowns (there was no cycle). My clowns have been hosting with the feather dusters up until a few weeks ago. For the past 4 days my largest feather duster has only come out for an hour or two in the evening. I have witnessed my large female clown attacking it on several occasions. The only way the duster comes out at all, is if I distract the fish for 10 to 15 minutes while the duster SLOWLY comes out. It doesn't look that great when it is out. The other dusters are fine and are not bothered by the clown - this duster used to be the clown's favorite - what happened?

Is there any hope? Is it worth trying to move the duster and see if a change of location helps? I don't even know if it can be moved - it is wedged into some liverock.

By the way, I added my first livestock - a skunk cleaner shrimp about a week ago - maybe his presence is causing some problems too?

I don't feed phyto to my tank, but I think I will go and purchase some tomorrow and see if that helps any. All tank readings are pretty good. ammonie, nitrite, nitrate all zero. pH 7.9 to 8, alk 3 meg/l, and calcium 345 (hopefully, these will get better - I started B-ionic about 2 weeks ago). temp is 79.

25g with 2 X 65 watt power compact w/moolights, Aquaclear 300 HOB filter and 2 powerheads.

has it shed its crown yet. maybe this is part of a female clown cycle. i have seen clowns dart very forcefuly into anenomes which don't have the opportunity to retract. i wouldn't worry until the duster sheds its crown (a sign of stress). at this point there will be nothing for the clown to attack. then after 1-2 weeks a tiny little crown will appear and by then the clown will have moved on. moving the duster mihgt help....but sometimes their outer casing can fuse to the rock or sides ofthe tank. i use an x-acto blade and slice alongside the casing.

No, the duster has not shed it's crown - oh my gosh, I will be so sad if it does :(

It is getting worse, though. Yesterday and today it has not come out at all. It's not dead - it does try to come out, but it is so "afraid" that it comes out very, very slowly and sooner or later the clown notices it and bites at it.

I have noticed the clown showing some aggression to the smaller male clown, too.....

don't be sad.....just look at my face and laugh instead. the crown grows back in 1-2 weeks...tiny at first. if it hasn't lost its crown, it must not be too stressed. just observe nature taking its course. the duster will feed at night if it needs to.

My clown was attacking my feather duster also, and then when I moved my tank I apparently put the feather duster further away from her host frogspawn and she now leaves it alone. I used to find chunks of the crown floating around, but it has since grown back nicely. Try moving the clowns host (if there is one) or the feather duster.

Archived