ReefCleaners.org

Tank Emergency-Need Help

uwwmatt

Run carbon, skim wet.

I would be less concerned about the battery (I doubt it leached anything significant in the few hours it was in there), but the thing I would be concerned is about the components inside the air pump - chiefly the motor - the lubricants that my have been used in/on the motor are not the cleanest.

As for copper in the tank, if it did get in, it's probably already precipitated. But I'm sure if you have any in there, it's pretty insignificant.

As said before, I'd just do water changes and run lots of carbon and chemipure and keep an eye on the tank.

IMO, you might lose things in the holding tank if it isn't monitored closely - especially if the hammer kicks it, it ill wipe out the whole tank for sure - I would be inclined to return them to the DT ASAP.

I am at work now, so hopefully things last until morning, then I will put them back in the display tank. Hopefully with moving them I haven't caused even more harm.

I am running two HOB filters with carbon and filter floss, plus a koralia 1 on my QT tank. And I have a bag of carbon plus a carbon reactor running on my display tank.

well you can rule out electricity, it does not affect things inside the tank, don't remember the reason but it has to do with no being grounded. So if you stuck a 120v stripped wire and plugged it into the tank and into the wall, nothing will get zapped. But you will because you are a path the electricty can travel through. something like that, it is late.

sorry to hear about your problem though. I agree that the pump lube might be a problem. the battery doesn't look bad at all.

well you can rule out electricity, it does not affect things inside the tank, don't remember the reason but it has to do with no being grounded. So if you stuck a 120v stripped wire and plugged it into the tank and into the wall, nothing will get zapped. But you will because you are a path the electricty can travel through. something like that, it is late.

sorry to hear about your problem though. I agree that the pump lube might be a problem. the battery doesn't look bad at all.

Now I am starting to worry that I overreacted and that may have caused even more damage :(

Meh, sh!t happens. We all react quite severely when it comes to our reefs. Next time take a deep breath first :)

Hopefully everyone pull through.

Hmm. I assumed most if not all batteries contained some kind of copper.

I way overestimated the length of time the batteries where in the tank. Again, not reading carefully enough. I think you'll be ok, particularly since the shrimp (canaries in a coal mine) are all still kicking. Its no biggie, just reassimilate everything to the tank in a day or two. I hope you can get stuff back to roughly where they were, I loved the way it was set up.

Helfrichs Chick

You guys really think there is a correlation here? For some reason I just don't. If you dropped a battery op. pump into the tank, you pulled it out and it was still working, IMO it hasn't been in there long enough to do any damage at all. I do believe in stray voltage but not sure about it being plugged in. What happened before this? Seems like you have been having bad luck with your tank? Whats the history there? SOO many variables. If it were ME I would not have taken anything out, done a 20-30% WC run a poly filter and see what color it changed. It could be something totally unrelated... have you changed water sources lately? Do you get your water from a store or do you have a ro/di unit? Did you run a gamut of tests? What salt are you using? Change any food lately? Just need more info.

For all I know it could have have a MM worth of copper wire and that leached copper but IMO I just doubt it. Anyone know the time frame for copper to break down and release when in SW? Maybe its possible. Interesting to know that's for sure.

Have you tested for copper, what have you tested for and what did it show. I would not worry about the pump or the batterys I would think about the stray 110V that was pumping into the tank.

I have seen a 800watt heater shater in a 2,500 Gal frag system and pulled it out in under 15seconds the system felt the effect for 2 weeks.

I have not tested for anything yet. I had to go to work.

No recent changes to the tank. I haven't done a water change since last weekend so it wasn't anything new that was added. And I have been using the same salt for at least 6 water changes.

As for the previous disaster. The silicone on my sump cracked, draining it on my floor (after having been set up for 6 months. Not really anything that could have been avoided.

It was brought to my attention that brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, so perhaps there may be a copper problem after all. However I don't know how those materials break down in saltwater. Any scientists out there?

lakshwadeep

It is possible for brass to corrode, but I think the zinc would be removed first (i.e. dezincification).

I moved some of the things back because my hammer coral was contaminating my QT tank. My candy canes look normal as does my button coral. My leathers are not looking so hot, and my frogspawn has remained closed. Some of my zoas have opened and some remain closed so I don't know whats going on on there.

I think most of my hard corals are goners. My fish still seem to be okay though.

I am going to do another 20% water change and hope for the best.

I remember some guy on NR plumbed in a brass fitting for a chiller and had almost everything die.

I'd run something for copper and get rid of any brass.

Archived