inTank Media Baskets

Lighting Q's!!!

armyfishnj

I have looked at many lights and still am confused....I am hoping for some help....What is the difference between retrofit lighting and lighting already boxed up for you? If I got a canopy for my tank, which style would be best? Also....what about moon lighting that I've seen which is very blue and makes the corals glow. Can someone give me some help????

What size tank do you want? Some companies, for instance, have good deals on one size but not another.

For 10 gallon tanks, the Coralife 96-watt PowerQuad is hard to beat. It's less than $100 at www.hellolights.com

Another great deal are CustomSeaLife's "Moon Lights." These are PC (Power Compact) fixtures with built in night-viewing lights. Check them out at www.marinedepot.com

If you want serious lighting with the ability to turn on the "very blue and makes the corals glow" lighting (called actinic by the way) look into a combination hood with Metal Halide and Actinic lighting from a company like PFO, CustomSeaLife, or Hamilton. These are expensive, but also the best. Check www.marinedepot.com or www.reefgeek.com

You can also try the new T5-HO lighting systems. I recently reviewed them in another thread:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=19409

Post back here if you have more questions!

Already "boxed" lighting means you need a cmplete light setup in a hood because you don't have a canopy or other enclosure to mount it it.

A "retrofit" comes ready to mount into a user supplied enclosure. These are ideal if you have a canopy already.

Cameron

So would it be better to go with a retrofit and have a canopy than going with the normal "boxed" setup? I am thinking about going with the retrofit at this point. Also would I need a 36" or could I go with a 30" setup since I'm mounting it to my canopy??? Is it hard to mount to your canopy?

3 screws and drill gun through the reflector and into the hood.

Push wires down back, and plug in.

Done.

That assumes you have a hood tht is able to be retro-ed into.

dauh.

if you increase the output, and the bulbs give off more heat (obviously) you will need some form of ventelation.

ummm spend some time reading a few threads... this stuff is all covered ;)

Archived