Top Shelf Aquatics

Gracie's 10g - Need help with Questions PLEASE!

Gracie

What are your tank parameter now you have added the additional rock? Notice any ammonia or nitrite? In regards to gloves, its a personal call. Most including myself probably dont wear gloves however I am thinking I might start. If u decide to break your rock, you need to be careful that you dont cut your hands on the rock as it might get quite sharp. As you have taken rock from the ocean, there is a chance that hitchhikers are now in your tank that might poke you or types of corals you may buy that either have a sting or toxins. Someone posted a link not too long ago where a very knowledgeable and experienced reefer for a vendor at a meeting was talking about some of the more toxic and dangerous issues with reefing. For the life of me I cant seem to find the link. If anyone has that link, perhaps it would be a good introduction..

caelcynndarr
What are your tank parameter now you have added the additional rock? Notice any ammonia or nitrite? In regards to gloves, its a personal call. Most including myself probably dont wear gloves however I am thinking I might start. If u decide to break your rock, you need to be careful that you dont cut your hands on the rock as it might get quite sharp. As you have taken rock from the ocean, there is a chance that hitchhikers are now in your tank that might poke you or types of corals you may buy that either have a sting or toxins. Someone posted a link not too long ago where a very knowledgeable and experienced reefer for a vendor at a meeting was talking about some of the more toxic and dangerous issues with reefing. For the life of me I cant seem to find the link. If anyone has that link, perhaps it would be a good introduction..

No one in this thread has even mentioned taking rock from the ocean

patrick1234

Also If you go on to youtube and look up (So you touched it now what?) is the vid your looking for.

haha sorry.i mean since you have put in rock from the ocean..live rock..thats what i meant.

All the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all zero. Probably because the LFS has the LR curing for awhile. Most of his customers has been reefing for awhile.

I was shopping around on craigslist and happen upon someone selling his frags. Soooo, long story short, I am now proud owner of three frags and a damsel.

Metallic Green Zoanthids

Green_Zoos_25_Polyps.jpg

Rainbow Rhodactis

IMG_6762.JPG

Blue Mushroom

IMG_6938.JPG

Now, questions...

I did research on the web about feeding the coral. Seems to me that the Rhodactis and the mushroom doesn't need to be fed. But I can feed the Zoo. I am thinking of this product named Reef Chili. What do you think about his.

What kind of damsel did u purchase?

Since this is the first fish in the aquarium, I just picked the cheapo common blue damselfish. He seems to be very happy in the tank, swimming around and getting food from my daughter.

u dont need 2 feed these corals...

I know.. but the guy who sold me the zoos said they grow so much faster with it.

Although they are beautiful fish, as you may know, they are very aggressive. I would suggest not adding any additional fish in the tank until that guy comes out. Also, in my experience they can sometimes be a big PITA to take out. Mainly because they are fast and seem to learn how to avoid a net quickly. Had two of them in my tank when first starting out. To remove them I had to nearly disassemble all of my rock work to get them out. Perhaps this might be the same for other fish, but those blue devils were unbelievably difficult.

MillerLite...

I have definately noticed how aggressive and fast the damselfish is. He is not longer shy, will come out and almost beg for food. Yup, just started to pick on the pep. shrimps too. If I see him getting more nuts, I might have to take him back to the store...

Grace

for that reason i've never owned a damsel.

OK I take that back, I do have a clownfish.

I had to take back a 6-line wrasse. the bugger killed my purple firefish. when my 20H sprung a leak and had to move everything to a 15g off to the store he went. That was the only way I could get to the sucker, no rock and very little water.

MillerLite...

I have definately noticed how aggressive and fast the damselfish is. He is not longer shy, will come out and almost beg for food. Yup, just started to pick on the pep. shrimps too. If I see him getting more nuts, I might have to take him back to the store...

Grace

Mine reminded me alot of my cichlids back when I used to have a FW species tank. There always seemed to be quite a bit of aggression and occasional mortality until all the fish figured out the pecking order. Unfortunately, the saltwater fish arent all equally aggressive and when dead can be quite expensive to replace. Although they are buy far some of the cheapest, yet most colorful fish you can buy its a damn shame they are so aggressive and difficult to keep with other fish. You could always go with other aggressive fish and they might be just fine.

I must be the olny 1 with a yellowtail damsel that is afraid of his own shadow. He was first in the tank then a royal gramma then a clown then a tailspot blenny. The clown is the meanest of them all. Even nips at me when I put my hand in there Now in my 12gl I have 1 blue devil and well that name fits her well even pick little rocks and shells up and throws them around. I only wanted 1 fish with pretty color for that tank so I got her. Good Luck with your damsel

Well...the damselfish is staying for now...upon insistence from my husband and daughter. They just came home from the LFS with a pair of fancy ocellis clowns. So, we will have to see if the damselfish behave itself. I have seen it rush the pair a couple times, but the clowns seem to ignore him. If it gets any more serious...he is heading back to the store.

My headaches now is with my peppermint shrimp, "PSYCHO". My brother in law was soooo sweet and frag me a couple things from his colonies. One of them is the Green Tipped Acropora Pocillopora, it was doing happily in the tank until last night I found a white bare spot on it with the peppermint mounting on there. I have moved the SPS on the highest tier on the LR now as the Pepper doesn't like to go up there. I will check on it again tonight.

Experts, can you please tell me if pepper can go NUTS? I also found him hanging around my frogspawn, is he cleaning it, or is he eating it? How would I know? the frog spawn is fully open and didn't retract when the shrimp is "under" it.

Well...the damselfish is staying for now...upon insistence from my husband and daughter. They just came home from the LFS with a pair of fancy ocellis clowns. So, we will have to see if the damselfish behave itself. I have seen it rush the pair a couple times, but the clowns seem to ignore him. If it gets any more serious...he is heading back to the store.

My headaches now is with my peppermint shrimp, "PSYCHO". My brother in law was soooo sweet and frag me a couple things from his colonies. One of them is the Green Tipped Acropora Pocillopora, it was doing happily in the tank until last night I found a white bare spot on it with the peppermint mounting on there. I have moved the SPS on the highest tier on the LR now as the Pepper doesn't like to go up there. I will check on it again tonight.

Experts, can you please tell me if pepper can go NUTS? I also found him hanging around my frogspawn, is he cleaning it, or is he eating it? How would I know? the frog spawn is fully open and didn't retract when the shrimp is "under" it.

Oh totally..although its not every peppermint shrimp that causes problems. They are notorious for eating certain polyps including yellow polyps and perhaps even SPS polyps. Of course they also are scavengers and if the corals were dying, the dying flesh might attract the peppermint shrimp. If you suspect he is..then I would definitely get rid of the peppermint shrimp. Its not worth the damage he can cause. Are you sure hes a peppermint shrimp and not a camel shrimp? Many of crappy LFS stores will sometimes sell camel shrimp as peppermint shrimp..buyer beware..

So Id replace him with a cleaner shrimp..much more personality..and more reef friendly :)

Oh totally..although its not every peppermint shrimp that causes problems. They are notorious for eating certain polyps including yellow polyps and perhaps even SPS polyps. Of course they also are scavengers and if the corals were dying, the dying flesh might attract the peppermint shrimp. If you suspect he is..then I would definitely get rid of the peppermint shrimp. Its not worth the damage he can cause. Are you sure hes a peppermint shrimp and not a camel shrimp? Many of crappy LFS stores will sometimes sell camel shrimp as peppermint shrimp..buyer beware..

So Id replace him with a cleaner shrimp..much more personality..and more reef friendly :)

Well, I have witnessed the damselfish aggression towards the clowns this morning, he raised his fins up and try to nip them. At the same time, the PSYCHO is on my SPS again. So, out come my net, and I almost have to pry the shrimp off the yummy coral. Off he goes in for isolation. Next, I was just thinking how to move the LR to get the damselfish... He swam to the top and ask me for food, one swoop and he too now is in isolation. The isolation chamber is in the nano to make sure they have least amount of shock. Unfortunately, the pep didn't survive isolation, I think he died of shock of being remove from the SPS.

You think that would be the end of the story. I didn't remove the shrimp from isolation right away as I thought I would use it as bait for the mantis shrimp tonight. Well, a Nassarius snail found his way into isolation and starting to devour it. My husband took the snail out with the dead shrimp and place them on the sand. All the Nassaurius snails and emerald crabs swarm the shrimp and I have not see any remains. May Psycho RIP. These turns into a very educational moment for my 3 yr old daughter on the food chain in nature.

LOL! Its like watching that killer whale attack that fur seal on the ice flo on animal planet....yeah my 4 year old was terrifyingly interested :) Well I think you made all the right decisions. Sorry to hear about psycho..but its interesting you actually had to catch him on your SPS...which meant your actions were justified or you would be saying may the SPS RIP :) Yeah that is one thing I find in my saltwater tank that you dont see in a FW tank. Once something dies.usually there are enough tank inhabitants around that ensure nothing goes to waste...

So have you thought of what other kind of fish you might be interested in? Also the cleaner shrimp as I mentioned is a fun shrimp and I think your daughter would get a kick out of it as well. Mine used to rush my hand whenever it was in the tank, crawling around looking for little parasites. Plus my fish used to stop at a single location in the tank where the shrimp would hang out for their cleaning every few days...it was pretty neat to watch em in action.

Archived