Pod Your Reef

xenia in fuge for nutri export

mattie

a person i know is using xenia in his fuge for nutrient export and ver little calurpa. this somehting which i have never heard. but i am curius if anyone knows of this I understand requirements for xenia but I didn't realise the benefits.

I personally am not going to try this anytime soon.

if it ain't broke don't fix it. mama used to say

but this topic has me wondering the posibilites

Besides macro, mangroves, and 'plant' based organisms, there are some in the animal kingdom that work rather well for nutrient export as well. Mushroom polyps and the such are one I have heard of...not sure about Xenia, but it sure is possible given their lighting requirements...but also dont forget this:

The technical definition of a refugium is rather broad. It refers to any tank that is part of a system where certain species that would otherwise be threatened are allowed to grow. A refugium could be a seahorse tank, a frag grow-out, or even xenia tank under these terms.

What many people refer to as a refugium is actually called an algae scrubber...a place where micro or macro algae is encouraged to grow and export nutrients by passing water through it.

Just a FYI.

Well, I have actually been looking into that. It seems that Xenia use nutes very well, in fact almost as fast as some macro's... The thing you would have to take into consideration is, well, it's called nutrient export, you have to prune the xenia, just like you would macro's so you will want a place where you can take the xenia to, after you take em outta your tank (fuge.) I was toying w/ the ide of a shallow vatt, maybe 4-5" high, w/ a foot print of like 1'x1' that I was gonna grow out xenia in, maybe w/ a removable try in it, that I can lift out, to take xenia out... I dunno, I'm just throwing crap out there now!!! LoL

DvS

i tried culturing an aiptasia scrubber... but you know how it goes... treat a weed with respect and it withers away.

they all died. :flower:

In case you haven't seen it,

here's a article on nutrient export that includes xenia.

The only thing with xenia, is that it grows slower compared to macros and it's allot harder to deal with when/if it crashes.

btw, I've used xenia as a nutrient export for 4-5months now at least. Works pretty good I suppose.

Works allot better (unless you have tons of it to begin with) if you help the xenia first by fragging it up and "planting" it all over instead of waiting for it to split and spread by itself.

Archived