Top Shelf Aquatics

NKunleashed's RSM 130D w/LEDs

nkUnleashed

nkUnleashed

I would like to add another fish in addition to the blenny, but the tank is only 6 weeks old. I also want to add a peppermint shrimp. Is it too early?

Anyone have any ideas for peaceful tank mates with a red scooter blenny?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Skunk / "Cleaner" shrimp are a little more entertaining imo (unluess aptasia(sp) is a problem).

Coming along very nicely nick! Just fragged a couple small pieces of a green monti cap...once they get a little bigger ill send one ur way

nkUnleashed
Skunk / "Cleaner" shrimp are a little more entertaining imo (unluess aptasia(sp) is a problem).

Coming along very nicely nick! Just fragged a couple small pieces of a green monti cap...once they get a little bigger ill send one ur way

Awesome! I almost picked one up at Star this week, but the monti caps they have are soooo tiny. I walked out with a super zoo rock instead. Pics will be up shortly. One of those frogspawn frags is yours if you want it when the day comes.

Great stuff happening here!

Nice to see some life after waiting for 6 weeks huh? I just added some stuff in my tank today and will get pics and update tomorrow,... but enough of me... -_-

I had a peppermint shrimp from the 4th week. but then I had a lot of aptasia. I must say he did his job well because you can't find a single aptasia in my tank now. The peppermint is very shy and you hardly see him. cleaner shrimps are much cooler!

I like your fish a lot. I believe it's a blenny? he looks a bit like a mandarin but you shouldn't add those in this early stages so I hope he's not family of the mandarin..Anyway, he looks amazing, get some more shots!

I added a tailspot blenny (Ecsenius stigmatura) and he's pretty cool too. I don't think he will be a problem for your current habbitants. He eats a bit of grean algae too so he's usefull.

nkUnleashed
I like your fish a lot. I believe it's a blenny? he looks a bit like a mandarin but you shouldn't add those in this early stages so I hope he's not family of the mandarin..Anyway, he looks amazing, get some more shots!

Seb - Thanks! Yeah, he's a red scooter blenny and yeah, they're in the dragonette family, which is the same family as mandarins. :blush: I was hesitant to get one, but he was eating frozen foods like crazy at the fish store, so I think I lucked out. He has gotten much bigger than he was when I first picked him up - so hopefully he'll stay fat and healthy despite the tanks youth. fingerscrossed I'm also having a huge 'pod bloom right now (all over the glass, LR and LS), so I'm sure he's loving that.

I'll look into the tailspot blenny. I certainly have enough algae to feed him. And I think I'll take your advice about the peppermint shrimp, and get a cleaner shrimp instead.

Coralcor - I've been emailing Pinky at the US RSM office and I'm starting to think I should just junk it. The bubbles have toned down a bit, but they're still annoying- and there is hardly any skimmate. I may give it another week or two with some more livestock in the tank to see if that helps.

My LFS had all that totoka live rock on sale. That stuff has a lot of surface area, but I'm thinking 30lbs just isn't enough. Plus, I would like to get a little more height so I can attempt some more branching stonies.

• 3 weeks later...

NEW FTS and stocking list at the top of the thread

So far I'm having some nice growth with this PBN, and I LOVE the green birds nest too.

bN.jpg

Some mighty fine zooanthids. This is a HUGE rock that my wife picked out. Hopefully I can keep it thriving.

zooan0.jpg

bicolor trumpets (very slow growing here)

trumps.jpg

Really like your zoa's so colorful!

You really lucked out on that Scooter Blenny, from what I've heard they can be very finicky eaters, and its best to allow your tank to mature before introducing them. If yours is chowing down on frozen foods though, keep on truckin! Very cool fish!

WOW!!! :o

Those Zoa's really got me droowling.. So vibrant in color, good spread.... I wish I could get my hands on such nice pieces here in holland. I must find out how I can get them shipped over to me.

I have updated my thread so you can see what I mean.

Your tank is coming along nicely mate. Good to hear you got a "trained" scooter, they are fun to watch. I'm planning on getting one too but I'll wait a couple of months.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: New pic (FTS) at the top of the thread. Coral pics to come in the next few days.

So, I put a coral banded shrimp in the tank and she promptly ate my Kenya tree, then a few days later my 6-line wrasse went missing (no signs of illness or anything). Found the shrimp eating his little carcass that evening. :angry: What the heck?! This shrimp is ####### me off, and I love that wrasse (even though he was a major bully)! And yet....she's so stinking cool....what do I do?

Updated Stock List:

Firefish

Banggai cardinalfish

red scooter blenny

6-line wrasse

thin-branching pink birds nest

ORA green birds nest

bali green slimer

green monti cap

red monti cap

frogspawn

3 zooanthid rocks

bi-color trumpets

christmas tree leather

golden ricordea

duncan

green star polyps

Kenya tree

So after talking to the pros at the LFS, I've given the coral banded shrimp a full pardon for the Kenya tree coral, as a fungus is the new primary suspect. They hooked me up with another beautiful rock of Kenya tree, so we'll watch things carefully. At the first sign of trouble, I'm doing a fresh water dip.

The shrimp is still, however, the primary suspect in the death of the six-line wrasse (who was the bully of the tank, mind you).

• 2 months later...

Here's the latest. Since the last update, I've had an explosion of Kenya tree all over the place and I've added a nice little piece of purple stylopora. Oh, and I think the elk horn is new since the last update.

I'm thinking about just getting it out of the tank and adding some more zoos and some mushrooms on the bottom. Thinking about some brain or acans, but I'm not sure if I have the guts or experience to try it yet.

Sorry about the quality of the pic. I'm trying to get better at the FTS, I promise!

12610.jpg

I also wanted to add that my coral banded shrimp is the coolest critter of all time!

Is there a club for people who love their CBS? I would join. And we could have t-shirts.

• 3 weeks later...

your tank is looking nice nick! Find the droppings from that softy shove em in empty snail shells let grow and trade em. I swear its a never ending stock of them. But as you can see that thing can easily take over a tank

• 2 weeks later...
your tank is looking nice nick! Find the droppings from that softy shove em in empty snail shells let grow and trade em. I swear its a never ending stock of them. But as you can see that thing can easily take over a tank

Thanks man!

Yeah, I think the guys at Star are getting sick of my leather frags! I took the big momma back a few weeks ago to make room for a brain so things are finally under control!

• 4 weeks later...
nkUnleashed
Hey! I'm in the area too! Star is awesome as well as your tank. I just got the RSM 130D. Will be following along. :D

@Daleo - Hi! We Augusta reefers should start a club!

Star is the best - they always take the time to chat and geek out with reef stuff, and they have fantastic tanks.

Best of luck with the RSM. I had a couple minor glitches getting started, and the usual new tank syndrome stuff, but overall its has been a great experience so far. I'll hop over to your thread to continue this conversation. :)

@StevieT - Thanks! I've learned so much by ghosting your threads and I love your tank, so it means a lot to hear that from you!

Archived