Coral Vue Hydros

DUAL BIOTOPE DESIGN

Muggz

Thanks guys for the input.

lakshwadeep, are there any photos of zoanuts setup? Or did you see it in person?

Wombat, that was posted on glassbox-design.com, here is the link http://glassbox-design.com/2009/philippe-g...-drop-off-reef/

That's one of the tanks that has inspired me to think outside of the box a little before I decide what kind of aquarium I want to build. Let me know if you end up remembering the other tank you're thinking of, I wouldn't mind seeing it.

lakshwadeep
lakshwadeep, are there any photos of zoanuts setup? Or did you see it in person?

Yes, I saw it in person (they're located near me). The tank was a shallow frag tank with a diagonal divider in one of the corners, where the mangroves were located. There was mainly LR rubble next to the divider.

I think I know what wombat is talking about, though I can't find any pics of the tank itself.

The man who pioneered the set up

http://www.walteradey.com/ecosystems.php

Give me some time. I'm an internet ninja like that.

Oh, and I have seen the plant displays you were talking about Muggz. They seem cool, but I'm not sure they could really pull off what it is I'm looking for. Definatly an idea to toy with.

• 2 weeks later...

The later posts have been lost, but would like to keep this topic moving...

I'm becoming more interested in the "drop-off" design, as I think the options for livestock would be more diverse... many possibilities with that kind of design for sure.

A question I had was with regards to the joint between the top section of the tank and the 'drop-off': how would this be done? It looks like it's just been siliconed, but wouldn't the water pressure be too high for that to support the joint? Anyone with experience with this? How do you think he's made the joint so clean?

grosjean-reef-wall.jpg

Looks damnb good to me!

Thanks, I think it would work pretty well... I'm leaning towards that kind of setup. The return seems so simple that way. I suppose the trick would be finding an inline pump that could work in that kind of setup...

Has anyone found an example of an L drop-off reef aquarium, other than the one mentioned previously? Anyone on N-R done something like this?

• 1 month later...

WOW. thats a GREAT biotope idea. i think this is the same idea the the Goregia Aquarium uses for they're reef tank. i think the only way you could build a drop off aquarium like that is to custom make it or to DIY. gonna folow this tread. hope you can put this tank into motion soon!

This would actually be really cool to do. I kinda want to get my hands on a pets mart planted tank now and get to work!!!

Im not sure about the joints to be honest. Im thinking its acrylic but cant tell. I dont think sylicone would hold to well. But then again it holds corners of tanks together all the time.....

Yes, I saw it in person (they're located near me). The tank was a shallow frag tank with a diagonal divider in one of the corners, where the mangroves were located. There was mainly LR rubble next to the divider.

dont worry ive seen it with my own eyes too :)

This thread inspired me to create a pico tank similar to this design. It is a little different shape. The tank I build is more of an upside-down U shape. The tank holds around 6 gallons. I'm going to create a separate post for this tank tonight when I get some actually pictures of it. But for now here is a quick sketchup of the tank. The black wall is the overflow into back camber, it has skimmer teeth cut into it. I may also be building a cpr type skimmer in the overflow box, but will probably just add a media area for chemipure and the like.

post-37534-1252589742_thumb.jpg

Archived