Coral Vue Hydros

Stored water in high temps

TriggerHappyDude

TriggerHappyDude

So I've had my stored salt water out in the garage which has been very hot here in Oklahoma, upper 90's and even 100's in the garage, if I get some of that water into a 5 gallon bucket and let it come down to a normal degree, could it still be used?

Yes you will be fine.I keep mine in the garage and I used it today and noticed after putting it in my tank that it raise the temp in my tank 2 degrees. But the salinity was spot on.

Brad

TriggerHappyDude

Ok, I'll check that stuff, its not sealed, but its in a Brute with a lid, and a Maxi Jet 1200 giving it motion and air on top...

the heat may actually kill off free floating algae spores. Give it a good sniff. u should be in business!

TriggerHappyDude
yes just check temp, ph and salinity first. but you should be able to rock and roll with it.

So if pH and salinity is good, bring it inside and let it cool down then I can do my water change?

If any water evaporated then the salinity will be a bit high. Just add some fresh RO water before adding it to your tank and it will bring it down to "normal" levels. Should be good to go.

dsoz

TriggerHappyDude
If any water evaporated then the salinity will be a bit high. Just add some fresh RO water before adding it to your tank and it will bring it down to "normal" levels. Should be good to go.

dsoz

Well its been covered with a lid, so I guess the evaporation water collects in the lid? Which then falls back into the trash can? Only a little has spilled out. But I see your point, but it doesn't appear the level has gone down from where I filled the water to in the trash can...I will check it all though.

How long do you normally store your water? I used to store my water in a 50 gallon plastic container and although it was never exposed to extreme temps, eventually there was quite a buildup of slime in the container. Although Im not sure if this is the case in your storage container, I was never confident in using that last bottom most part of the container of water just in case :)

I don't know why heat would greatly impact the water if it is stored in a closed container.

The slime buildup you get is almost certainly bacterial, yes, even in RO water.

TriggerHappyDude

Well I just did a test with the refractometer, and the levels were PPT 0, 1.00 SG, it was at the very bottom.

What does that mean or tell you? Its been out there maybe a month.

TriggerHappyDude
So it's RO and it's still zero ppt after a month? Tells me that everything is as it should be.

No, it's mixed saltwater not RO.

lakshwadeep
A refractometer.

Sorry, I didn't read all of your post. The temperature difference may have influenced the reading, so you may want to try taking a sample out to cool before putting it in the refractometer.

shrimphombre

have you mixed it? All of the salt could be at the bottom of the bucket...

Is your refractometer calibrated?

Okay, not to hijack this thread, but I have a related question...

I normally mix my water 1-2 days in advance of my water change. I typically change 5 gallons out of my 29g weekly. I mix the water in a new trash can modified with a spigot.

Unfortunately due to having to attend to some stuff I wasn't able to complete my water change and now the water has been mixed, circulating in my bucket for about 9 days... I was going to do the water change tonight but I noticed that the water smelled a little musty... Kinda like what a humid room would smell like after a while of being closed up. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the quality of this water? My gut tells me I should dump it and start fresh, but my curiosity wants to know if this water would work or if it would endanger my livestock (again, I'm looking for specific reasons!).

Thanks!

Okay, not to hijack this thread, but I have a related question...

I normally mix my water 1-2 days in advance of my water change. I typically change 5 gallons out of my 29g weekly. I mix the water in a new trash can modified with a spigot.

Unfortunately due to having to attend to some stuff I wasn't able to complete my water change and now the water has been mixed, circulating in my bucket for about 9 days... I was going to do the water change tonight but I noticed that the water smelled a little musty... Kinda like what a humid room would smell like after a while of being closed up. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the quality of this water? My gut tells me I should dump it and start fresh, but my curiosity wants to know if this water would work or if it would endanger my livestock (again, I'm looking for specific reasons!).

Thanks!

Water sits in your tank for longer than 9 days right?

Add RO to compensate for the evap and it should be fine.

TriggerHappyDude
have you mixed it? All of the salt could be at the bottom of the bucket...

Is your refractometer calibrated?

Yes, its been mixing, stirring for the entire month with the Maxi Jet 1200 in there, I mentioned this up in the beginning of the thread. The refractometer is calibrated, I even tested it with some of my tanks current water and its sitting pretty there.

Sorry, I didn't read all of your post. The temperature difference may have influenced the reading, so you may want to try taking a sample out to cool before putting it in the refractometer.

Ok, sure thing, I'll let some sit over night inside the house in bucket and try it out.

Thanks for the suggestions. You know how hots its been in OKC lakshwadeep! That garage is insane.

lakshwadeep
Ok, sure thing, I'll let some sit over night inside the house in bucket and try it out.

Thanks for the suggestions. You know how hots its been in OKC lakshwadeep! That garage is insane.

:lol: Yeah, I make sure to keep all the blinds from letting too much sunlight get in.

TriggerHappyDude
Does it taste salty?

No it doesn't, so now I'm trying to remember if I ever added salt to it or if I just filled it up with RO/DI water and left it out there. I can't remember. It didn't taste salty at all though. I guess thats a pretty good sign that I might not have mixed it with salt yet?

Is it bad if my salt container is stored out in the heat of the garage as well?

It didn't taste salty at all though. I guess thats a pretty good sign that I might not have mixed it with salt yet?

Bingo. :lol: Good thing you didn't do a waterchange with it. :unsure:

Is it bad if my salt container is stored out in the heat of the garage as well?

I can't think of a reason why except for possible increased bacterial growth but that really isn't a problem IMO.

TriggerHappyDude
Bingo. :lol: Good thing you didn't do a waterchange with it. :unsure:

I can't think of a reason why except for possible increased bacterial growth but that really isn't a problem IMO.

Yeah, very true. The Reef Salt is sealed nice and tight in the bucket, have to use a hammer to open/close it.

Thanks for help in troubleshooting it, total noob move you all helped catch.

Archived