Coral Vue Hydros

feeding recommendations wanted

cblack

I bought a 10g reef from someone about six weeks ago and set it up in my apt. Everything has been stable for several weeks and things seem to be running fine. I have recently (about two weeks ago) added a small true perc clown, and just Saturday added an emerald crab since I started seeing some bubble algae. Other livestock: ~4 hermit crabs, 2 turbo golfball size turbo snails, ~10 smaller snails (don't know species yet, I have identified some which have flatish shells but don't remember the species name), lots of xenia, cup coral, small colony of zoos, a torch, and an acro frag (described as "purple bonsai" from person I bought the reef from, but I believe it is an acro after looking at pictures online).

I am currently feeding 2-3 fish flakes (omega one marine flakes) every other day. I am also feeding one scoop of phyto every other day. I was wondering if I should be feeding a bit more. Before I added the clown, I was feeding a small bit of crab pellet every other day but stopped that after adding the clown. I have noticed 2-3 snails being killed by hermit crabs and wonder if that is due to them being hungry.

Yup! "1..Adam-12.......Shell-jacking in progress"

Feeding seems fine......I didn't feed my nano for months and my crabs never touched my snails (I had shells avail.able). Crabs can find lots of food on th rock, sand, corals, etc

I have added plenty of extra shells both slightly larger and about the same size as the ones the hermit crabs are currently using. After the snail killings they do not take the snails' shells (one snail was a flat-shelled type which won't help a hermit at all, and another was a bumblebee that had a shell smaller than the murderer's current shell).

Any thoughts on changing my feeding schedule and/or adding crab pellets?

Archived