SaltCritters.com

Bleaching and 10K vs. 20K upgrade?

Ed-N

I've searched around and I'm pretty convinced that my coralline algae will bleach after I've upgraded from a 32W CF to a 70W MH.

Do you think there is any way to minimize the bleaching other than slow acclimatization (slowly increasing the photoperiod), or is this useless?

Also, do you think a 20K bulb will bleach less than a 10K bulb?

Thanks,

Ed

well i from what i gather bleaching is basically scorching them with such high intensity light so close to them. as for acclimation, maybe putting tall lift spacers between the light hood and the tank. then slowly put smaller spacers....dunno

Ever since I switched over to MH and fuges I havent even had coralline, let alone any other algae growth since the fuge takes all the nutrients and the halides are too intense. I think of it like this: coralline in marine is like green algae is in freshwater. IT may mean you have a healthy tank, but if you have a planted/reef tank its just a pest anyways...and a truly healthy planted/reef tank will not have any growth of coralline/green algae because the plants/macro will compete too much and keep it from growing. Just my .02 ...no coralline/ its bleaching out? I wouldnt miss it one bit.

there are various species of coraline.

Lowlight, and brightlight.

I have a 250 W 6700K light over my 37 gal.

lots of coraline ;)

ALK and Ca are important. try Kalkwasser and /or B-ionic.

By all means, start your lighting 2 feet away, or else you will shock the rest of the stuff in your system also.

10K - 20K is noot the issue, but the intensity is.

HTH.

Archived