Top Shelf Aquatics

Chris' 2.5 gallon AGA

ulver982

You should get some more rics

and a trio of sexies would be awsome in there

IMO

sexy picos are always fun

Good call with the rics. I would like some more, especially some blue ones, I want some blue in the tank.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What model diy ato did you get

and are you happy with it

I got the auto top off kit from aquahub.com...here

I have it hooked up to an aqualifter. The kit comes with 2 float switches but I only use one of them because I don't have a sump. It was a piece of cake to put together and works great, I'm very happy with it.

Nice pico. How much current you are running? 12 LED that's a lot.

Just got my LED lights on the tank last night, so far they look great!! I'm running 12 LEDs, 6 white/6 royal blues.

rustytrombonist

just a couple questions..... does the ac 20 give off too much flow? and whered you get the lid for it? im guna be switching my 2.5 over to salt soon

Nice pico. How much current you are running? 12 LED that's a lot.

I'm running 2 buckpucks 1000mA for whites and blues. I used 12 LEDs to get good coverage, but I am able to dim them, so I'm running them about half their full capacity.

just a couple questions..... does the ac 20 give off too much flow? and whered you get the lid for it? im guna be switching my 2.5 over to salt soon

The AC20 doesn't give too much flow at all. In addition to the AC20 I have a Red Sea Nano filter, but I have so much cheato and rubble rock in there it doesn't produce a lot of flow. I also just added a Rio 50 powerhead that pumps 69 gph. I have the nozzle pointed towards the front of the tank for indirect flow.

As far as the lid, I'm using the glass lid that came with the tank but cut the glass so I have room for my filters so the lid doesn't stick out in front of the tank.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm afraid my little friend has to go. Looks like he's been picking at my Birdsnest. I knew they picked on SPS, but didn't know to what extent, I've heard mixed reviews on them. Anywho, I do want a fish in there, think a neon goby would be ok? Any other suggestions?

I'm afraid my little friend has to go. Looks like he's been picking at my Birdsnest. I knew they picked on SPS, but didn't know to what extent, I've heard mixed reviews on them. Anywho, I do want a fish in there, think a neon goby would be ok? Any other suggestions?

A neon goby would do great! I love this little tank!

A neon goby would do great! I love this little tank!

Hah, thanks! I'm gonna try and find me a neon goby. I am going to miss my clown goby, I just want something that's not going to mess with my corals. It sure has come a long way since the beginning with only 2x9watt CF. I do love this tank and plan to keep it going for as long as possible. I see a lot of little picos come and go so fast, it's sad.

Glad to see the Leather coral --- ( that looks like a tree coral FAMILY Nephtheidae either GENUS Capnella or Nephthea) seems to be doing much better.

You have a really nice tank :D

And yes YCG's will eat SPS coral polyps. Years ago I had a SPS that just was declining and then I setup a video camera and I cought on video my YCG nippin at the polyps. Unfortunatly I no longer have the video tape of that event but it didn't take long to catch the littkle bugger and move him to a different tank.

Charles

Glad to see the Leather coral --- ( that looks like a tree coral FAMILY Nephtheidae either GENUS Capnella or Nephthea) seems to be doing much better.

You have a really nice tank :D

And yes YCG's will eat SPS coral polyps. Years ago I had a SPS that just was declining and then I setup a video camera and I cought on video my YCG nippin at the polyps. Unfortunatly I no longer have the video tape of that event but it didn't take long to catch the littkle bugger and move him to a different tank.

Charles

Thanks :) I'm pretty sure it's a nephthea too. That thing is a beast, it almost touches the bottom of the tank when it stretches it out. It also has sent out a couple little frags that I found in the back of the tank. I have to trim it/frag it, but I'm afraid to! Hah.

I should have known better with the YCG, but I'm gonna find me a neon goby. I do have some sexy shrimp on order that hopefully I'll get it at the end of this week. I'm excited to see those guys.

sooo....

this tank was great..... then it got leds....

now its AWESOME!!!!

can i request some moar goby pics and a fts or two?

thx :D

• 3 weeks later...
Chief Reefer

do you think that 6 of the same LED's would be enough for this size tank?

essentially i would like to do the same thing except run 3 whites and 3 blues from 1 1000ma dimable buckpuck. Or do you have the 2 colors on separate buckpucks and both adjusted to different intensities?

• 1 month later...

you really put a lot of work into this pico and it looks great! how are all of your corals reacting to the change from PC lighting to LED's? i'm planning on upgrading very soon. also I saw that you left your tank for a week, did you do anything special besides having your ato and timers, etc? i have to leave mine for 5 days.

you really put a lot of work into this pico and it looks great! how are all of your corals reacting to the change from PC lighting to LED's? i'm planning on upgrading very soon. also I saw that you left your tank for a week, did you do anything special besides having your ato and timers, etc? i have to leave mine for 5 days.

Thanks! My corals reacted nicely to the change. Everything was opened and happy upon the change, and that was something I was worried about. I have noticed better coloration and better growth with the LEDs. I didn't do anything special at all when I left the tank for 7 days, just had my ATO and light timers. For some reason, thought I would come back to a dead tank, but everything was thriving and doing fine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I moved just recently, here are just a few pics of the move. This is the second time moving the tank. It's nice I could just pick it up and go. The first time, I drained it a little and moved it as is. This time, I had to keep it full to the top because of how much growth I had. Luckily everything stayed put and it went rather smooth. My friend held the tank that was in a styrofoam box in his lap for the 20min drive to my new place.

The day of the move, this is right before I unplugged everything and put in the box.

4360966687_dc727439ef.jpg

4361707434_b8821fa22c.jpg

4360966989_8e678af101.jpg

4360966791_eb938b870a.jpg

Right after I got everything plugged in.

4361707928_df075569e4_b.jpg

Thanks to my buddy Nate for taking the pics and editing my butt crack, lol. :)

Archived