Cultivated Reef

MH and hood question

Kennetht

ok, I'm building a hood that would put the 70W MH 6.5" from the top of the tank. Is this enough room or not? Also, will the glass canopy that I have now, block the harmful rays or will I need to do something else? Thanks in advance.

Sorry, forgot to mention that there will be two 80mm fans....one pulling air in and one pushing air out. Will this be enough air movement or not?

Another question that I have is how do I acclimate my corals to the brighter light? I know that I can't just blast them with it. Thanks in advance.

FWIW: shorter photoperiod still bakes and could shock them, due to the exposure to higher intensity. Best bet is to raise the entire hood 4-6" higher to start, then gradually lower it to the normal position over a period of a few weeks. You can do this with a stack of 1" molding pieces, removing one every few days/week.

Is this a 10 gallon? If so keep the canopy high and place the corals at the bottom and the sides of the tank. I would be concerned most about the existing corals that have adjusted well to the low lighting. 70w of MH is not that intense that I would have much concern especially on a 10 gallon.

The corals have been in the tank for no more than 2 weeks.....most came from larger tanks with 250W MH lighting previously. Thanks for the help.

Hi guys,

What about coralline. Will it bleach? I have a 70W HQI on my Minibow7. Right now, I put an aluminum plate on the glass under the bulb to cut down on direct light on the tank. Hopefully this will acclimate things OK.

Ed

Archived