Coral Vue Hydros

Is this a good external canister filter for a 5gal?

z6joker9

Zoo Med 501 external canister filter. I work at PetsMart and noticed this sucker. It's made for turtle tanks, but looking over it, it might be perfect for a nano if you want a canister filter. It would give you more room on the back and give you a bit of choice on the filter meduims.

It runs around $40. I could not find info online, but here is some basic stuff from the box:

Volts/Cycles : 110/60

Watts : 4

Max G.P.H : 79

Size of Filter : 6.5" tall, 3.5" deep, and 5.9" long.

2 chambers : 1 for filter sponge and 1 for carbon/ceramic media (which comes with the kit)

Says on the box : "Easy priming external filter for turtle tanks, vivariums, box turtle pools, or aquariums up to 30 gallons."

Comes with a spray bar.

Says : "Includes special water pump motor that can run dry for up to 30 days without damaging the unit!"

anyone have any experience?

In my opinion it would take up too much space. I would get an external HOB filter. Also $40 at Petsmart is way too much. You can get it online for less than $20.

I cannot find it online, and how would it take up space? it's an external canister filter, it sits outside the aquarium. I have a AC mini HOB filter, the purpose of this one would be to save room in the tank.

if you have the link of a place to buy, please post it

Will it work? Probably.

You'll find that the general concensus is that canisters are a PITA.

Whereas a HOB is quick and easy access, particularly for a 5 gallon.

Your request falls into the category of "try it and see". You have the choice of trying something that most folks here have not - but would be interested in hearing about the results, be they good or bad.

Archived