Pod Your Reef

HELP!!! Water Changes during Cycle???

cephas

HELP!!!!!!!

Should I be changing water during cycle?? my Ammonia is a 5ppm, and Nitrites are at .8ppm. I have Gulfview rock and am afraid of the die off. I've already lost two bivalves on the rock.

It's been 13 yrs since I last cycled a tank, and my old tank never had LR this alive at start up. This is the 3rd day tank has been cycling.

Thanks for your help :-)

Ken

I wouldnt do a water change until Nitrites are down. Once Nitrates are down to around 10 I would do a 20-30 percent water change. Some stuff will die off but some stuff will grow back.

the stuff dying off the rock is what makes the cycle

I wouldn't do a water change until the nitirite = 0 and you have some nitrates

if you change the water now it may not limit the die off but it will prolong the cycle time.

best thing is to keep with the proven method duing your first water change after the nitirites have droped and the tank has shown signs of comleteing the cycle

need no

recommend yes

i run the light during the cycle but usually only 8-9 hours until i added my clean up crew don't worry to much about the coraline algae it is tough stuff once the tank has cycled and you get your light fixed everything will be fine. but remeber the light is almost most important factor to nano success

Archived