Coral Vue Hydros

My first post..:)

ChloroPhil

Hello all,

I'm thinking about setting up a 15g nano and have a couple questions about lighting. I'm particularly interested in sps and want to make sure I do it right. I've got three 55w PC fixtures from some old planted tanks that I plan on using for the reef.

1. Is 165w PC over a 15 enough for most stonies?

2. If so, what genus/species would NOT work with PC lighting?

3. Is PC "actinic" good enough or should I invest in a VHO fixture for actinic?

I'm on a budget and would prefer to spend the $$ on rock rather than a new fixture. However, if it's necessary, it's necessary and I'll suck it up. :)

Thanks,

Phil

Just go with a 20k Halide set up and be done with it. a Magnetic 175 Halide would be cheaper than 165watts of PC. Would you be retro fitting this, or would it be a hood?

I guess Since you already have the PC's, 165 would be enough to keep most SPS alive, but the colors would not be as intense and all would need to be kept at the top of the tank. Almost all SPS can be grown under that, with the exception of some Acros, but once again they will not be 100% happy and your water quality, as usual, would be key. If you had to go PC I would suggest 2x10k and one Actinic.

Hello Lights makes a nice true Actinic 03 that is almost as good as the VHO actinic.

Jahkaya,

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately this tank is going to be the majority of my non-utilitarian christmas gift stuff and I can't afford to go MH, though I'd LOVE to. It'll definately be in the future but right now I've got the 3 55w retrofits, so I'll be building my own canopy for the tank.

"Almost all SPS can be grown under that, with the exception of some Acros, but once again they will not be 100% happy and your water quality, as usual, would be key. If you had to go PC I would suggest 2x10k and one Actinic."

When you say near the top, how close do you mean? I'm most interested in Acropora and Montipora spp. and understand that they need a good amount of light. With such a shallow aquarium (12") are you talking about the base of the animal being above the 6" mark?

I totally understand the need for high quality water and am patient. If there are some species I can't keep right now I'm not going to. That's why I'm writing here, to figure out what I can and shouldn't keep.

Thanks again,

Phil

Charlotte, NC

Archived