Innovative Marine Aquariums

When adding LR / LS

Isaka

Hi guys, been reading through here the last few days, lots of great info. I was wondering about how you add the LR / LS to your tank during the setup phase. Do you (a) prepare the water in a seperate container, then add your LR/LS and pour the water in over that, or (B) already have your water in the tank and just drop the rock and sand into it? or does it even matter.... TYIA

Yep, I mix up my SW in a separate 5 gal bucket and run a PH in in for several hours to thoroughly mix and aeratre it. then I add the LS to the tank, then part of the water, then add the LR and arrange it and fill the rest of the way with the water.

Everyone does it a bit diff, so you'll get other opinions.

In a new tank, I add RO or DI water to the EMPTY tank, add salt into the tank (measuring SG until I get it right, and run the fiilter(s). I take the next day or so to make sure that the temperature is set right, and that the lights won't cook the tank. During this time you can safely test out whether you can put a lid on the tank or not because of heat.

Next, I buy the rock and set it on the bottom glass, and then add the sand. That way, if a fish digs out some sand, the rocks won't move.

Lastly, I stare at the rock like an idiot for three months or so, and my wife yells at me to do more work around the house.

Archived