ReefCleaners.org

Reason 135 why clownfish are dumb...

wetworx101

Ya know, I like clownfish. They are cute, colorful, peaceful...like neon tetras...and just as boring. I mean, they are pretty neat when there is a pair and a host anemonae...maybe they will breed...but in a nano this situation is rare. They usually just swim up in one place all day like a common minnow. They dont really seem to 'interact' with the tank as much as some other fish, like gobies and wrasses for example.

But someone tell me that I am wrong here. I also find them particularly dumb. My cousin's tank has an out of control pod population. When the lights turn on in the tank I can see a swarm, almost like a swarm of locusts, all over the tank and the front glass, retreat to the darkness. His fuge has a mysis outbreak every other day. He has hatched brine shrimp by simply dumping the eggs in the fuge and within a day or so hundreds of hatched baby shrimp are floating around (like he needs to add any with all those pods, eh?)

And the clown needs to be fed or it gets skinny. Dumb fish. Food all around yet too much of a minnow to open it's mouth for anything but floating flake food. Next week hes getting rid of the dummy and putting in another goby or something. Do clowns just not eat pods? Does anyone have a clown that does, or what's the deal?

LMAO yeah clowns seem to be like that. ive never had one so i dont know yet.

We have two green chromis' in our 50g, and they have the most personality of any fish. one is always sickly and the other guy helps him find food and protects him! really interesting to see him play drill sgt all day :P

Thats pretty funny. I have an ocellaris that i feed a few times per day.I guess some do eat pods,some don't.When i turn on the lights in my tank in the morning, my clown bull rushes the glass,stops at the last minute and watches the pods scatter,he then proceeds to pick off every one he sees moving. Its interesting to watch,if there are pods available my clown ignores the flakes.

i have a small pair of tank rasied perc and they tend to always stay in the front corner of the tank. i find that they do eat pods. i see them pick them off the sand and they pick them off the glass I occasionally will see them swim to get one from the water flow but they don't eat the big ones like>3mm. and when I put my hand in the tank once a week to do some pruneing and feeding they attack my hand sometimes bitting me they never draw blood but it always makes me jump.

i don't agree that they are dumb. I just think they are less active which is what makes them good for a nano

my $.02

i agree with this issue ,i have 3 percula clowns and they all acting crazy and boring . the first 1 i bought hide under the powerhead for 5 day and not eating so i bought it back trade for another one, so the next one did is hiding in the back of the rock for 3 days and won't eat flakes either, trade it back again for the third percula clown ,now this one is like his freaking out , swimming like crazy i mean swimming like a shark chasing him and wont eat either...Clown are STUPID ,DUMB, BORING fish

• 4 weeks later...

alright then..

here's a question for all of you.

If clownfish suck, what do you reccommend? I'm not going out and buying two fish if they are boring. haha

let me know all your opinions. i hope i havent just started WW3!!

LOL, now your just hijacking my thread. Threre must be a million different fish out there that are more interesting...I like goby types...clown gobies, mandarins, jawfish, firefish, blennies, neon gobies...anything that has an IQ higher than macro...clown's dont.

I will disagree. my blue stripe clown is brilliant. it stays out of sight, hides in a corner and makes rare appearances when food is in the tank. By doing this, it managed to lure the bta intothe same corner and now it has a host and is still out of sight.

tashana, with regards to your question (sorry wetworx), might want to look into the corals you plan on keeping as well as the fish. best to map it all out at the same time. what does well in one tank might not do well in another. Clowns are wierd but often entertaining. some gobies hide all the time but the same species in another tank are constantly out and about.

pick what you like and pray for the best.

• 2 weeks later...
ninhsavestheday

my clowns smart! dont wanna bragggg... but when i apporach the front of my tank he does the same and then when i move to the left he does the same! and then when i open the hood he swims up to the top anticipating food. so proud :happy:

hmmmm makes me think.. is he hosting me? :D

My cousin has angelfish that does that too... following the owner thing. He considers them the most useless bag of scales he has ever bought, but they look good in his planted tank. No offense ninhsavestheday, but even minnows & guppies do that. I would consider a fish smart if it DIDNT follow me as I moved around the tank, realizing that many times I might not be feeding it, and instead wait until it sees the can of food being opened. My african cichlids do this...they are rather smart.

• 2 weeks later...
nanoreefer_12

I disagree that clowns are dumb. They are fairly intelligent, like many other fish, minus the (blue tangs - which I believe are fairly stupid). They are inactive if they are not happy with their environment. My clown interacts with my yellow clown gobies I have in my tank constantly, if they like their environment they will interact with it more. It also eats pods, brine shrimp, and Formula One. Clowns are picky eaters like some people are. I have trained my clown to sleep where I want him too, which currently is a button polyp.

Clowns aren't dumb, they are cautious and picky.

Just my $0.2

Archived