SaltCritters.com

Mixed Reef w/ viewable sump

Jasoncgnu

Looks great, can't wait for the rest of your pics :)

Thank you! Well I found some time to post some pics. I know they arn't great but I've never had much luck taking tank pics. It might also be the fact that I am using a crappy 4 year old digital camera but regardless I think you get the idea.

Enjoy!

Here's the RBTA in my main display. Yes it's killing my monti! I've tried to remove it but its foot is so deep into the rockwork that it's impossible.

mainnem.jpg

This is the nem in the sump that split off about a month ago.

sumpnem.jpg

Here is my candy cane. When I bought this half of the heads were bleached and as you can see its made a full recovery. You can also see a neat purple sponge that is growing on the skeleton.

candycanesponge.jpg

Macro shot

candycanemacro.jpg

my frogspawn. This pics doesn't do it justice at all. It's not a green morph but it does have a cool flourecent green tint where the tissue is thicker. Not sure if that is normal but I still like it!

frogspawn.jpg

Finally, a strange macro algae that just appeared in my tank. Anyone have any clue what it might be?

macroalgae.jpg

I like the idea of having them connected for more stability, I think you can clean up the look of the plumbing/ hide it and be just fine. cool idea !

It really is a great idea, I'm adding a 10 gallon to my 10 gallon system soon based on this :)

Jason, I think that macro is the beginnings of Grape Caulerpa. It looks really neat, takes well to heavy thinning, and is great for nutrient export... it also can go 'sexual' if stressed, but you can avoid this with heavy thinning. You can keep it under light 24/7 to avoid this also (great for nutrient export, as I said). IMO, either get rid of it (if you don't like it) ASAP, or thin it heavily every couple weeks.

I like the idea of having them connected for more stability, I think you can clean up the look of the plumbing/ hide it and be just fine. cool idea !

Yea I've considered building a false wall or something similar to hide it but overall the pipes are not that noticable with the light on the second tank. Plus I'm lazy and the tanks are in my room so I'm pretty much the only person who looks at them all the time.

It really is a great idea, I'm adding a 10 gallon to my 10 gallon system soon based on this :)

Jason, I think that macro is the beginnings of Grape Caulerpa. It looks really neat, takes well to heavy thinning, and is great for nutrient export... it also can go 'sexual' if stressed, but you can avoid this with heavy thinning. You can keep it under light 24/7 to avoid this also (great for nutrient export, as I said). IMO, either get rid of it (if you don't like it) ASAP, or thin it heavily every couple weeks.

I was kinda thinking the same thing. It hasn't been growing that fast so I might just leave it and keep it pruned.

After literally months of waiting my main tank is finally anemone free! :D

I just glanced at my tank as I was heading to bed and I noticed that the BTA in the main tank was in the process of moving. It was between rocks when I grabbed it and so I was able to peel the foot off and toss it into my sump. I hope I didn't damage it in the process but I guess I won't know until at least tomorrow. It looks like it already grabbed onto the rocks and it's not completely deflated so I'm at least optomistic that it will be fine.

New toys today! I just recieved two new MJ1200s to help increase the flow in my tanks. I also got a 5 gal bucket of seachem salt and 1kg containers of suppliments. I'm set for a while now!

SemiAverage711

I have seen Jason's setup in person. Honestly, you don't even notice the plumbing or any equipment in the back. I had to think back to this thread to actually look at it. They are nice tanks.

BTW Jason, my tank is ready for some stocking. Ill shoot you a pm.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Born and raise in Indiana here :-). Go IU!

Tanks look cool. It pisses me off when I see people say things like "FUGLY". Especially when I look at their cookie-cutter tanks and fall asleep :P. Hehe, keep doing your thing and keep the updates coming.

• 1 year later...

Archived