Innovative Marine Aquariums

nvDiZ's 24 Nano Start

nvdiz

thanks for letting me know. I thought it would be ok to add the corals I have now as long as there's no water fluctuations. I'll give my wallet a break and slowly add again in a while. Nothing bad happened yet, so I guess I'm just lucky. Thanks! I'll take your advice.

• 2 weeks later...

well, the hammer i was trying to rehab didnt make it :(

everything else seems to be doing fine though.

Water Parameters

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: <5

Salinity: 1.025-1.0255

pH: 8.0-8.2

I also finally got to putting up my sapphire skimmer. I built a little stand for it to raise it's height. Before that, water was very close over the collection cup. So now, i think its functioning the way its supposed to. I'm still getting micro bubbles, but hopefully that will pass soon...

I also finally got to putting up my sapphire skimmer. I built a little stand for it to raise it's height. Before that, water was very close over the collection cup. So now, i think its functioning the way its supposed to. I'm still getting micro bubbles, but hopefully that will pass soon...

You have too much water in your tank. The skimmer should sit flush on the bottom of the tank. you need to take water out of your tank so that the water level in the rear 2nd & 3rd chamber are even to where the slit in the false wall is. Anything higher will not allow your skimmer to run properly.

ya i had a feeling something wasn't right... thanx. i'll let the water evaporate for now, cause the skimmer is pulling out some brown/green junk.

Waiting for that much water to evaporate means big shift in your SG. Not a good idea. Scoop some water out now. Don't be lazy. Just because you see some skimmate doesn't mean it's working correctly. It should sit flat on the bottom of the tank. Follow the directions and it'll work properly and more efficiently.

alright just took some water out and set the skimmer directly on the bottom of the chamber. getting some microbubbles, but it should go away soon.

Micro-bubbles are normal for the first few days when the skimmer is "breaking in." If they don't go away in a few days from starting, then your water level is still to high. Scooping out "some" water doesn't mean you leveled it to the correct level. It should not be higher than that slit in the 2nd/3rd chamber false wall.

NC24diagram.jpg

I took out enough water so that the water between the 2nd and 3rd chamber were level with the slit. No more micro bubbles. I just have to do a lot of manual top offs...

I just tested my water parameters to make sure everything is where they should be, and I got the following:

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0-5

S.G. : 1.025

pH: 8.2

Phosphate: 0

Calcium: 380

Alk: 9-10 (9 was a dark yellow, 10 was a brighter yellow on the API test kit)

this morning i found one of my red mushrooms splitting itself from its base. is this a sign of unhappiness or a soon to be new mushroom?

DSCN0774.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

ok well the old mushroom completely detached and i dont know where it is... :wacko:

it did leave a part of its base on the rock and it looks to be developing into a new mushroom. i dunno if thats possible, but the leftover piece looks like its forming a polyp...

anyways, i transferred my frogspawn to our 110g and its doing well. i would have kept it but it took up way too much space. it was only 2-3 heads with a 2 inch stalk and it would inflate just shy of 12 in softball.

btw, checkout this awesome acan frag i got for 9.99!!! omgomgomg

i counted 12 heads!

DSCN0833.jpg

under antinics

DSCN0830.jpg

i got it off ebay along with some of the sellers other acans. they've all opened up nice and have nice colors to them.

the sps corals are all doing well. the birds nest is nice and open but i can barely tell if it grew at all. the rainbow montis are slowly encrusting the plugs and they've got a nice color to them. thanks

btw, any sps frags available yet? and hows your tank doing?

• 1 month later...

The mushroom will move like that and leave a small part of itself behind and yes it will become a new mush. Mine went nuts like that. I learned something bout the water level in the back chambers. I had no idea that was the proper water level, so it does pay to read. I was wanting to ask you how the aptasia was doing. Mine wont go away. Was using Joes juice. They would drow in their holes and not see them for a few days then they would be back. Bout ready to nuke all the rock and start over.

Archived