SaltCritters.com

Dying xenia?

zachtos

Hi, I'm new to nano reefing and have a 15gal w/ 22 lbs of LR, 20 lbs of LS, some yellow polyps, hairy mushrooms, pulsing xenia, 2 p. clowns, 150 gph powerhead, AQ500 refugium w/ LR, LS, and grape macro.

*My question is: How do you get your xenia to grow so nicely?

I had 2 stalks of pulsing xenia and they apparently died suddenly, they shrank down and I dont know if they can recover? can they?

**BUT, do you dose chemicals? and how often do you do water changes? are my main questions.

i also have 2-55W PC btw. And my other corals are fine. I have done a 40% partial to see if they can recover to no avail. I would atleast like to know how to prevent this next time. My amonia and nitrite are near 0ppm, ph around 8

this topic is well covered, but try doing a more fequent waterchange.

The caulerpa has toxins in it, and it is slowly suffocating your xenia. I presently am fighting a similar battle ( and looseing baddly) with pieletella(sp) caulerpa and my xenia is withering away to nothingness, but the other corals are doing fine.

Also, there seems to be a symbiotic relationship with leather corals and xenialids doing ewell in the same tank with mushrooms. chances are adding a toadstool, or increasing the waterflow near them will be the route to go. You didn't mention if a skimmer is being used. That also can be a necessity since they are highly productive of muchus.

Well I trimmed back some of my macro algae and that seemed to help. I can't quite afford a skimmer yet.

-Anyways, the xenia seem to be recovering slowly. They are pulsing again but the "frills" are still not as bushy as they used to be.

trimming back them is not a great idea. It leads to "sapping" and potentialy leads to more release of plant's viscus fluids and can have a deletiorus effect on it ( it will go sexual) and THAT sucks.

Try to pull entire strands off where possible and the runners should let loose from the roots. it is hte best way to "prune" the bushes ;)

good luck:)

try using some Marc Weis Reef DNA it tends to help Xenia grow

Archived