Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

FISH DIED NOOOOOOOOOOO help with filter

rapier0

hey all i have a jbj nano cube and i have keept a tomato in there for a lont time now but the other day the ph was a little off and i used proper ph 8.2 and i think it killed him :( i felt so bad he was my favorite tomato (he was my only one too) it looked like the slime coat came right off skin looked white.

i also wanted to ask what do i do about this brown crap all over my tank its on my rocks shaving bush. i have some snails but i dont think their doing enough. coral banned shrimp is doing fine.

oh yeah in the back of my tank there are some sponges and some bioballs took the balls out though and carbon

whats the best way to set up a filter back there?

i have two bags of ceramic rings there cant really add a skimer what should i do back there????

Reefer_Buddha

your ph was off a "little" how much is a little? what were the other readings on your tank? And why are you using bioballs? I wouldnt blame just the ph if it was off a little , could be high nitrates from the bioballs, who knows.

8.5 isn't dangerously high. the pH will naturally (over time) start to depress anyway. don't use the Proper pH 8.2 to lower pH. i only use it in 'emergency' situations to raise pH. did you follow their directions?

did you remove the bio-balls recently? all of them or some? how long has the system been running? with bio-balls and without?

you noted something about carbon. were you using it? how long and how often (between changes)?

the sponges you're using, are they blocks of stiff foam or the polyfiber/cottony kind? are you doing anything with them?

try to describe the events in exact time order with more details. as buddha notes, 'a little' is a relative term. the more info you provide us the better able we can give you advice/opinions. that is the main reason most people ask for a digital picture (1 pic = 1000 words).

oh the ph was at 8.7 nope no bioballs from the begining and the sponges have been there since the begining the blocks of soft squshie kind not the hard ones(black) its been running for about 6weeks now and whats that brown crap ??? how do i get rid of it? snails? thanx for the help :D great hobby but gets tricky ??? ??? hu in the begining ive read tos of books but nothing beat learning from expiriance:P

oh the ph was at 8.7 nope no bioballs from the begining and the sponges have been there since the begining the blocks of soft squshie kind not the hard ones(black) its been running for about 6weeks now and whats that brown crap ??? how do i get rid of it? snails? thanx for the help :D great hobby but gets tricky ??? ??? hu in the begining ive read tos of books but nothing beat learning from expiriance:P

oh yeah should i add another tomatoe, and i eventually want to add a six line butifull fish? what do u think

all i have in there is some snails coral banned shaving bush blue legged hrmt and two scarlet hrmts i want to add some more snails and a fire shrimp and more shrooms

what do u think?

cant post pic but

heres what happened i did my usual water check evrything was ok at 0 but the ph was way off it was at 8.8 or so but then i made the mistake of adding proper ph 8.2 i should have just done more water changes i knew better than that. but i had to go to work and that quick fix was a big mistake. i think it was to much to quick i think they suffered from chem burn, the tomato lost his slime coat the shrooms freaked out some of the brown crap kind of disinigrated and eventually evrything returened to normal shrooms ok shrimp ok clam ok snails ok but the tomatoe was badly injured i think unfortunatly he didnt make it :(

ive learned never to do that again a mistake was to add it directly to the filter too instead of mixing it and then adding it the water pump just pushed it all over the tank that was a mistake l hell addding it was a mistake, all of this happened in only 2 hrs.

that was a really stupid mistake on my part.

but what do u guys think should i take the sponges out? and what should i place in there ??? the carbon gets taken out evry exactly 3 weeks or 2 on payday:D :P

i would hold off on another tomato until things settle down. a tomato is a little tight for that setup (eventually) but that's jmo. i dunno about a tomato AND a six-line, i wouldn't recommend that for a 12g. altho you could do it, it wouldn't be easy imo.

the sponges are a significant part of your bio-filter right now. if you remove them i'd do it in stages rather than all of them at once.

you can add more snails, i limit myself at around 1.5 snails per gallon. that depends heavily on the aquascape and snail size tho. the extra shrimp is also ok but i would advise on waiting a little longer since they're $$$. your system is still very young and unstable (6-wks).

Also, your tank seems pretty young at only 6 weeks. I'd get the algae cleared up, let the tank mature a little, then worry about replacing the fish.

Jon

Archived