Innovative Marine Aquariums

how to get rid of ick?

lzyboy9

ok. i read on one of the posts that if you soak the fish food in garlic extract that will get rid of ick. it said that it works quite well too. how long will it take to get rid of the ick if i do that?

you can't use medications in a reef as most of them are not reef safe.

Garlic and omega-3 fatty acids help promote feeding and slime production which causes the ich to slough off the fish (at least that is how I understand it to work).

Ruby Reef ich medication is reef safe and works very well. I had a massive outbreak in the 180 and the garlic/omega/ruby reef combo did the trick.

I like GreenEx. Many people dont know how to use it correctly and claim it does not work, but I have used it with success in reef situtations. Just dont overdose...the bottle says to use 1 drop per gal (dont add extra for good measure) just use 1 drop per gal like it says.

Ruby Reef makes two products, one is called Kick Ich and one is called Ralley. Ralley is for velvet and kick ich is for ich. I have not used these before, and I would caution againt their use. Basically from what I have READ, since I have not used these, they poison the fish, induce a disease fighting reaction, and they fight the ich off, only for the ich to come back stronger than before. Again, I have not used these, just giving you a word of caution from what I have read. Also they are expensive...30+ and you have to use A LOT of the medication.

I have also used Garlic in combination with GreenEx...(Kent Marine Garlic Xtreme) and that seems to help also. You can buy Garlic Extract from the grocery store also.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived