inTank Media Baskets

Removing Sponge Tunicates

timbudtwo

I'd be more concerned about your goner-pora and, is that a dwarf lion fish?

Little pic looks like it could wither be another type of sponge or fiter-feeding worm.

Well, I wish you the best of luck. It is the hardest coral to keep in captivity. Such a shame that they are sold in the industry, they should be left in the wild where they belong.

Sorry to say, but it's already on the way out.....Near impossible to stop recession in these corals. Folks have even had full polyp extension on them right up until the last polyp.

the little pic is a type of foraminiferan. (nanoplankton feeder)

the gonio probably feeds on phyto and zooplankton. you may want to mulch up whatever you feed them into a puree. let us know if it specifically takes anything, i'd be very curious.

caja and ken were just trying to warn you of the gonio's very poor survival record. they usually last a few months to a year and then quickly die. the secret for keeping them long-term is still being sought. maybe you'll be the one to find it.

btw you have a number of stonys so you may want to think about ca/alk supplementation, if you haven't already. hth

um, what are nutes?

just make sure to base your additives schedule on the actual uptake rate of the livestock and dikfers. an acro tank sucks up waaay more ca/alk than a predominantly softie tank. but comparing a stony tank of brains and elegance with the same softie tank may show a closer usage rate.

Originally posted by tinyreef

tank of brains and elegance

Sounds like all my tanks, Tiny: regardless of lighting and livestock.

Tim:

Take a look at the ingredients in those two additives. There is quite a bit of overlap in trace elements. I use Coral Vite along with SeaChem Reef Builder and Kalkwasser in the 65 sps tanka dn the reef Success in the nanos that I don't dose kalk into.

Had a discussion with a local guy here who was running a 125 sps reef w/ 3x400 halides and he said his calcium reactor really forced his pH down, and he would certainly not use it on much smaller of a tank. Personally, I'm happy with the growth and parameters in my tanks, so on emore gadget I can do without is a reactor, and I have a number of clams in a 10.

Originally posted by kennerd

FYI: Yves, tunicates, or sea squirts, are actually filter feeding organisms that have one of the most simple sets of actual organs for digestion to live on, and take in, filter and expel water actively.  OPposed to sponges which are mainly passive filter feeders.

I was trying to help in the above post not trying to get schooled.

FYI: Kenerd, both tunicates and sponges create their own water currents...sponge canals are lined with cells called choanocytes, choanocytes have a whip like structure that rotates to create water current. The flagella pump the water through the sponge, strong water flow is the other means of transporting water through the sponge, the oscula is cone shaped and causes a pressure drop when water flows over it, causing water to flow out by Bernoulli's principle. Not all sponges need strong water flow, there are many sponges found in quiet waters. Julian Sprungs"Invertebrates A Quick Reference Guide" has alot of good info on sponges and tunicates, I wouldn't have known this without reading it. Oh, and lots of squirts share common excurrent siphons making "tiny passages",and carry symbiotic algae, the squirt uses its photosynthetic products as food.

Originally posted by Yves

I was trying to help in the above post not trying to get schooled.

Thanks for the info, guess you felt like schooling, though, huh?

;)

I guess my intention was more in terms of describing general charateristics without getting down to microbiology. Sorry I directed it at you, but your original post didn;t seem to help in terms of clarifying the difference between the two.

I made as general a statement as you did initially, only touching on two of the differing charateristics that I thought might be interesting: First, that they have simple organs and digestive system (didn't feel the need to get into rigid "backbone-like" chordate) and that sponges are "mainly" passive feeders.

You've proven your knowledge. Now let's not argue on a thread about a guy that wants to kill sponges but is going to save a goniopora....

damn... you people sure are cocky

Kennerd - dont be be blaming me for a coral thats dieing that i just got, and had no idea it was doing poorly, when i still cant see anything dead or dieing on it.

If i want a sponge, ill go out and buy one.

Relax, Tim. Was my way of telling Yves where I stand: no sense any of us getting defensive, as we are trying to help.

The irony in my last statement was that you are trying to get rid of something that most people would be thrilled to find in their tanks, and adding something with such a grim survival rate.

Regardless: it is your perogative.

No problem with you taking the gonio either: had one myself. Kept it for a year and a half & bang, downhill. Reason I mentioned the downhill part: in your picture, the goniopora looks to have exposed skeleton on its base, but I may not be able to see it properly. Healthy gonios will not have such a problem, and usually once this starts to show, it doesn't stop.

Okay, I just felt as if you were blaming me for getting it and that it was my fault it was dieing. But its cool now. I understand what you ment. Like i said, i did not want them eradicated, just toned down.

Archived