Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

newbie with some questions about a 10 gallon

madmeri

Greetings all - this is my first post so forgive me if this is in the wrong forum.

My hubby and I have a 10 gallon tank and we've been trying to figure out just what to do with it.. first we thought freshwater, but we've done that so many times before, and then I thought leopard geckos - but today we decided to put it to some real use - salt water.

Although we don't really want to go all the way to a nano-reef, hubby thought it would be cool for a fowlr tank, but I wanna go all the way to reef.

OK, here come the questions.

1. What is easier to setup/maintain? We've both been keeping fish for about 10-20 years, so we've got the experience with freshwater - just not salt yet.

2. What is the necessary equipment that we're gonna need for either?

3. Any recommended fish for a 10 gallon? I thought some damsels, or some chromides (or is that chromis?), or maybe a clown or something. I'm not too sure what would be good in a tank that size.

Any helpful advice would be wonderful.

-- Lisa (and Mike)

AnthonyNguyen

well, hello there,

First thing u need to do is RESEARCH! ITS A SMALL BOX ON THE TOP ....AND ITS SAID ..SEARCH. than type in 10G setup...and wait, and ta da, infomation..is coming to you.

but since u asking with 3 question i'll to answer you as much as i can ok?

1. Set up for 10G, u needs, 10-15 lbsLive Sand, 10 Lbs.Live Rock, ateast 1 powerhead, the best deal is to goes to Supper Walmart and get u a complete set for 10G..its has everything on it. not including Live rock and Live sand or powerhead, buy it separately.

...buy hydrometer , test kits....and all the expensive cost is around...150bucks or more...

is it eazy to maintain, i said yeah, check salt water level's everyday, fill in distill water every day...check your Nitrate and others every week, change water atleast once a week, and a gallon at a time.

2. equipment:

depends on how much do you wants to spend on light, the more bright it is, the better it is. i have a 10G too, and i have with 4 curly 19W Floursince , and 2 bookworm 13 W, ancite. cost me 86 buck's just for lighting. and i builted my own top. look in the Do IT Yourself section, there a punch of Tips on how to hook up the light.

no Skimmer pls, LR and LS gonna fuilter its out. u need a clean up crew, including, snail's, hermit crab's, emeral crab's, skunk shrimp's, any things that eat alage.

3. Fish? hum..i dont know about that, i have 2 damsel once, and its a bit*ch, one dig every where, and its hard to get them out of the water. my emo (cloud) fish, died on me after one month. i heard its hard to kept,

my tank now stable, and i only has coral, and 2 blood fire Shrimps,1 emeral crab, 1 pistol shrimp, 4 red leg's and 4 Blue Leg's hermits crab's, 2 turbo snail's.

well good luck....i think u needs to do more research , b4 setting up 10G, i dont know what other peeps gonna think...well, ttyl...

Welcome to NR! This site has all the info you need to get your tank up and running. The first thing you'll need to do before you make any decisions on what to buy is read, read, absorb what you've read....and read some more. Chris Marks, the admin of this site has posted all the information you'll need to get your nano up and running.

This link will be the best place for you to start.

Once you've finished with that you can browse this page for more info on fish, corals and other miscellaneous articles.

Take your time, this hobby requires a ton of patience and dedication.

Good luck!

Archived