Innovative Marine Aquariums

Need help lighting a 20L --want more watts!

MrKrispy

Hey all,

I am currently putting together a 20L for my home tank. However, I am having trouble finding a PC hood that has enough watts. The only 30" hoods I see top out at 132W. I want more. Are there any type of MH/PC Acitinic hoods pre-made in that length? I don't want pendants for several reasons, so they are out, definitely. I don't want to DIY my hood, and don't really want to retro. I prefer PC because of heat issues. For future planning, I wanted enough light for a clam and some easier acros. WHEW. Any advice? (besides to STFU!).

Thanks!

There aren't a lot of options in 30" hoods compared to 24" and 36" sizes. You might want to reconsider the 20L, or reconsider the hood idea.

If you really want acropora and clams, you might want to put a pair of MH over it. JDSabin has a sweet 20L with two coralife(or Hamilton?) 175watt bell pendants. You could do that for about $500 - $600 depending on what bulbs you want. You could also go for a couple HQI mini-pendants from PFO at $300 each.

The best light is almost certainly "white" MH combined with actinic VHO fluorescent. You can get a really nice 24" hood with a single 175 - 250 watt MH and dual actinic fluorescents from a company like PFO, CustomSeaLife. or Hamilton. This hood would be 3" shorter than the tank on each side, but it would light the whole thing just fine since it's elevated.

Here are your resources... do your homework!

www.marinedepot.com

www.reefgeek.com

www.ahsupply.com

www.drsfostersmith.com

it's a good light.

it is not good enough for clams to thrive.

if you want clams. get MH.

or, skip the clams.

or try derasa or squamosa...

and learn alot first.

there is a clam forum on RC.

Archived