Coral Vue Hydros

I need approval . . .

DSparks

No, not THAT kind of approval :D

My drill press and diamond bits have arrived, and I'm ready to start drilling this weekend (yay!). I've been reading several posts on plumbing, flow, etc, and it has me re-looking at my plans. I would love if some of the more experienced reefers would give my plan a quick run through and let me know if I'm straight. Here goes . . .

The goal is to have one 3/4" bulkhead in the back of the tank close to the bottom. An acrylic overflow will be made that runs from the top to the bottom, allowing surface skimming. This bulkhead will take water into a 5.5 fuge under the tank in the stand. The fuge will hold an ehiem (317 g/h). The ehiem will return the water back to the tank through a ball valve, check valve, and then a SCWD. The SCWD will split the return into two 3/4" bulkheads on the back of the tank. Each of those bulkheads will have 3/4" lok-line connected to them which will be used to direct the flow within the tank.

The question I keep asking myself is, "Will this setup provide enough flow in a 10 gallon?". I REALLY want to avoid additional powerheads, as I want a clean look within the tank. Also, please post any problems you see with my setup. Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

dsparks - your drain sounds sufficient. I am running a 300 gph pump, and want a bit more flow and this is in my 7 gallon. go here,http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=19864 and substitute, all pvc in mine (1/2 inch) for 3/4 inch, sounds good. I want to build another for my 10 gallon and i am gonna use a 500gph pump on it w/ 3/4 returns. i know its a closed loop, but throw the pump in a sump and you get the ideas. I would say go w/ a 500 gph pump though, maybe even more especially since its sitting so far under the tank, you could slow the flow w/ a ball valve, just make sure the pump can handle it and doesn't overrun it ( i think little giant pumps will allow this, and i know there are others)

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=19864

for pics, go to page 2

Thanks for the great feedback!

birdman, do you have any suggestions on the pump? I was under the impression that the 317 g/h ehiem would be more than enough based on wetworx's response here:

Um, er, ah, lets see...you had a 10 gallon, right? And you were going to go with two outputs and a single overflow? I would go for a flow of about 300 gph (that's 150 per outlet) at most. That still is a little on the high side unless you plan on splitting the outputs again or something with the Y type lok-line so you have 4 outputs. A mag 5 might be a little much really, and I hate to see you have to restrict it so much if you get it. You would want to restrict it by almost 200gph...not good for pump. Just a side note: maybe spend the money on a nicer pump (not that mags are bad) like an eheim hobby pump (1252). They are the most reliable pumps ever made IMO, and better than mags because they are SILENT, now and 6 years from now. My personal fav on nanos.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...20&pagenumber=1

I'm all for spending the extra money and choking the pump down if I need to. I just want to make sure the buy the right one at the beginning and avoid all the hassle of returns, the changout, etc.

Any suggestions on the pump make and model for my system?

your 317 will be perfect as long as your head height is under 3 feet (depending on pump manufacturer). I would go w/ the 317, It sounds perfect. I removed the locline as stated above, and the flow is just a bit too violent, so i put the lock line splitters on, and now it's perfect. I am kinda bummed though, I wanted to run just PVC, That pump you are gonna use sounds good. Plus WETWORX is pretty knowledgable about this stuff. He said my system sounded good before I built it, low and behold, it was nearly perfect. He has tons of "wet works" knowledge and I would definatley listen to what he has to say.

I have a 317 returning to my 15 gallon through a 1" pipe and then through 2 3/4" nozzles. With 4' of head. Not enough flow.

I also have 2 maxijet powerheads in the tank.

You have a ball valve in your plans. If the 500 is too much, choke it off. No worries. If you go with the 317 and it isn't enough (which it might not be) your stuck with it.

It is a 10 gallon tank and That 4 feet of head is what's killin ya, Pumps lose power dramatically after 2 feet. If you can keep the pump near the bottom of that 10 gal, ( meaning as long as it isn't going under the tank in a sump or whatever, you should be fine. If it's in sump, definatley go w/ the 500 gph. my mag3 (350gph) pushes too much for my 7 gal. i had to split the returns into 2. Also cutting down pump flow too much can hinder pump life. Just my 2 cents.

Archived