Pod Your Reef

Zebra hermits climbing onto polyps

cooljackal

I have this one zebra hermit that climbs onto my green button polyps while they're open and seems to be eating stuff off them But I also think it may be damaging them because i see some places with thin white layers of something coming off. Is this normal or should i get something else besides the hermits?

i personally dont trust zebra hermits they have done damgae to things in the past. but they are very active cleaners. some people don't like any hermits i find that the scarlet red legs are lazy but don't the damage. in my tank now it's the pepperint shrimp that is molesting my polyps.

Hey Jackel - you an aggie?

Clas of '98 here.

I get the same behavior out of my baja's and blue legs. When the polyps close up, I can see a white crusty build up near their bases. One night my emerald sat there for hours picking away. I sat there for hours with a 3 pronged spear ready to frag his ass if he yanked out a polyp. However, the next morning my polyps were more open than ever and very happy.........So, I guess it is something normal...just my $.02

Yeah, ill try to get the pictures as soon as I can. I realize that when you deal will biological systems such as this there will be a lot of unpredictable events. So far the zebra's are doing ok (except for the polyp thing ofcourse) so lets see how things go.

This morning however I looked at on of the rocks and saw some green bubble algae!! It's like 1cm with 4 bubbles. I may just take this rock out and clean it. Although since ive never done this before i guess im gonna have to be real careful not to pop it. Its kinda small, I wonder if I should let it grow a bit before i remove it.

Yes, I am an aggie. Hopefully graduate '05. WHat the heck are you doin in oregon man? or did you live there before?

Originally posted by cooljackal

WHat the heck are you doin in oregon man?  or did you live there before?

HA! I ask myself that question everyday!!! I was born and raise in San Diego. the only time I left was my time at UCD, and still I went home every summer for some surf and relaxation. I decided to go to grad school a couple of years ago and decided that I needed to try something other than CA.....Whoa! Culture shock big time. Can wait to move back to So Cal when this is all over......SD's weather 67/55....P'land 51/28...where would you rather be?

Yeah I'd rather be in california's some-what stable climate. It sucks about all those fires man, it has done some unbelievable amounts of damage :(

There are 4 aggie schools......

Texas A&M (the most famous)

UC Davis (for its 90+ years of Ag research)

Utah St (?)

New Mexico State(?)

Archived