Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Newbie info help

casbarian

I've got a 2.5 gallon with 2 13w 50/50s. I don't think this lighting is sufficient. There isn't much room for anything else either in a canopy.

I'm thinking MH pendant, but don't know much about them. So I figure there will be heat and evaporation. I'm getting a float swith for top off, but with only 8" of depth I'm worried about bleaching and heat.

Can one simply raise a pendant higher off the surface to diffuse the light and loose heat? I saw liquids 70w set up, but what about 150w? Am I crazy? With a 20k bulb will I be set with less need for Actinics?

Some of you guys can be pretty mean when responding to ignorant questions, so I'm begging for some friendly help!

I see the "20 gallon long guy" with 2 175 watt pendants over 12" of water. A 2.5 gallon is 4 inches more shallow, and this doesn't seem like a big difference.

The intensity of my 26 watts is weak. And I don't think "watts per gallon" really matters that much with these tiny tanks. Isn't it the intensity that matters?

try changing one to a full 10k, and leave the other as a split.

If you are going to go with a halide, I'd suggest getting a larger tank. If you've got the scratch to blow on the lighting, at least give yourself some room to waste money on more corals!

I Agree with kennerd.

EIther get 1x 10000k and 1x 10000k actinic

or

1x 10000k and 1x 10000k 50/50

Either way that is good enough lighting for a 2.5g tank. I think MH is abit over the top for such a small tank. maybe if you upgrade to a 10g, MH would be the way to go. But for the time being the 2x 13w should do fine for corals in a 2.5g

If you're going to spend the $$ on a new hood, buy yuorself a 5 gal tank and give yourself more room. Should be easy to transfer everything from the 2.5-5.

Your opening up a huge can of worms here. Here's how my brain computes: 5.5 gallon, ok cool, I'll need more LR and bunch more pc lighting. I go online to see costs of a couple 32w pcs It'll be like 100 bucks. So now I'm thinking what the F*** I should use that money towards MH. 5.5 still a bit small though, I'll go up to a 10 gallon that I've got sitting around empty. So more LR, MH, sand etc. etc..... Vicious cycle.

But I guess it did answer my question. MH and 2.5 would be a bit much. I'm looking at those aqua spacelight mini pendants.

And mostly to keep my new zoos from turning blah brown under my 26w pc.

OK OK well what can we say? Nano reefing is an expensive hobby. Im sure as many people have learned if you skimp now, you pay later. Its better of to use the 10g!. 2.5 gal is hard, but a 10 will be easier!. And the pricing wont be much difference except maybe $100 for extra LR and another powerhead.

But you may loose $200 worth of fish and coral because you skimped on equipment! so just save your money until you can buy better equipment. You will understand in the long run :)

Cheers

I think I understand now! I started with a 10 gallon and 72w pc from AH supply. Then setup a 20 long with a 110w hamilton PC setup. Moved those to a 40 breeder, consolidating the AH ballast and lights into the Hamilton case. Each of these tanks did well and my 40 is doing great so far. No casualties, except an elegance coral in my 20 gallon. I've spent thousands so far. I'm not even sure how much!

But I wish I wasn't so intimidated by MH in the begining.

I'm trying the 2.5 for my classroom, and the kids go crazy for it.

Most of my coral has been very responsive to the PCs, but I really want to retain my new zoos color. They were in a previous 12inches of water under 250 10kk. Here's how they look now in the 2.5.....

Yeah I saw your tank pics. Nice! Doesn't seem very high off the water though. I was thinking 250w HQI pendant hanging over 10 gallon about 8 inches.

No need, really. No heat issues with the fan (actually runs rather cool 78-79) and the light dispersion is perfect without too much overflow light baking hte rest of the room. Wouldn't go completely nuts with metal halide for no reason. Hell, pop it on your biggest tank first, IMO: more room for growth, more margin for error, less heat and parameter fluctuation.

Archived