Innovative Marine Aquariums

Eclipse 12 - Good Tank or Bad for a NanoReef?

MB3

I recently purchased an Eclipse 12 for a Nano Reef. The tank is going to be in a formal area and I liked the clean lines on it. However, I have read many threads in here with people swearing off this brand of tank. This is my plan, please feel free to critique it or let me know if it won't work or if you've tried it with an Eclipse 12. The tank has not been set up yet.

*Tank - Eclipse 12

*Lighting - SuperNova 32W RetroFit (32S Kit)

*Filtration - Natural (12-15lbs live rock / 10-12lbs live sand) + Eclipse System12 Chemical Filter (BioWheel Removed)

*Powerheads - Eclipse System 12 powerhead (circulating water through the filtration tray minus biowheel) + second powerhead with oscillating nozzle

*no protein skimmer (weekly water changes)

*no more than 2 inches of fish

Does this seem like a solid setup? Where would you improve?

Thanks!

HaHa you mean KamDasai :D

I dont have anything in my tank except for the sand and LR yet. I highly recomend using Arag-Alive sand. It isnt filled with critters but it helps cycle your tank quickly. Mine is just finishing, my Nitrites are at about .5 and I added my LR and sand only a week ago.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new to this and have an eclipse 12. Why has everybody removed the bio wheel? Nobody at the store said anything to me about that when I started my tank. Am I doomed? I have a marron clown, a xenia, hammer, grape, 2 banded coral shrimp and 7 blue hermits. 10lbs live rock. Any input would be appreciated.

Tank specs? 2 banded coral shrimp? I've heard they fight if theres more than one in a small tank (I've never tried to tho :P) What kind of lighting do you have on there . . if its just the 'stock' eclipse flourescent those stony's arent gonna be around long.

so yah . . specs . .

Cilibrin: The tank itself has little to do with its worthiness for a nano, its more based on the filtration, lighting, and maintenance . . among other things. The brand of tank has little to do with it since you'll have to toss most of the stuff it comes with anyways besides the tank itself.

d.

Babsb2- i have an eclipse 12g, running for almost 4mo., removed the biowheel a month a go, secondary to nitrates were up. from what i have read the biowheel is mostly for freshwater set ups. if you have enough live sand and live rock the good bacteria upon cycling will be forced back into the live rock and sand and you shouldn't need a biowheel. also bad things tend to build up onto the wheel after a while. so i pitched mine. just a matter of preference. nothing so far has gone wrong.

I did get a lighting retro fit for the lights so hopefully my coral will do ok. The banded coral shrimp are a mated pair so they get along just fine. They've both shed their shells once already. I got the tank for a birthday present and decided to try saltwater after asking at the fish store how involved it would be, so I didn't do any research in advance on what to get. I'm glad to hear that other people are sucsessful with them. so far the bio wheel doesn't look nasty so i guess I'll leave it for now...

Babsb2-ur biowheel will change in color, but what i meant by nasty things are nitrates stick to this wheel and just some unnecessary things. i also got a retrofit 32 supernova for now-planning to upgrade in the next yr. good luck w/ ur tank!

Archived