ReefCleaners.org

alien spacecraft

Dave Scheiner

looks like a white ball sponge, but with a boreing worm liging in it. Notice the tendrils that are comming out the right side of it. Those are sticky, and trap detritus, and are pulled back in and eaten by the worm.

Very cool B)

not a worm. the sponge sends those out. mine does that too. small pieces of it hang by those threads and attach to a nearby rock. tripped me out but it actually moved (i guess using those threads). OK it took 2 weeks to move 2cm, but i didn't think sponges could move at all! anyone know WTF i'm talking about? or am i just a rambling madman... mwuhahahahahahah.

i think mine was looking for shade. i moved the rock it was on and it was in the light. after moving to the shade it stopped, and sinse i've been keeping that rock in the shade it hasn't moved yet. weird... i never knew sponges were that complex.

it's a dikfer.

jk

it's a sponge. the 'rolling sponge of death' or something like that. :P nilsen and fossa describe it in their Modern Coral Reef Aquarium Vol. I.

i agree, very neato! B) i didn't know the pseudopods could reach so far. that's definitely a ID picture for somebody. show that to tyree, he may want to use that in the future.

I did a Google search on "dikfer". Nothing. Then I searched the archives here. Again nothing. Then I went to Reef Central and looked up "dikfer". Still nothing. I called my mom and asked her what's a dikfer. Strangely, she hung up. I called my Priest and asked him what's a dikfer. He seemd to get huffy and just then I had to click out on call waiting. It was my wife. I asked her what's a dikfer. She said when she got home she would show me. I am still waiting for her to get home and show me. Anybody know? I tend to be impatient. And gullable.......

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Archived