Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Could i have sea squirts?

Bettonskyblue

Bettonskyblue

I have had my fish tank set up for about a year now, it is a very low maintance tank, nothing hard to keep. I noticed several months ago that i had something orangeish pink growing on one of my rocks, I didnt think much of it but now its getting larger(its about 3 inches now), I tried to describe it to my lfs and they must think I am a moron b/c they kept telling me it was a feather duster, hey I know what a feather duster is and it isnt one. Anyway i just assumed they are stupid and its some sort of a sponge until one day i was flipping ahead in my Zoology book and saw a picture that looks almost like what i have in my tank! Its a turnicate! Well i did some research and found out that they are supposedly hard to keep, which would mean that in my little tank they would never live, but if that is what it is they are living well because i know have about four of them spread around my tank, and my mom has one in her 5 gallon tank. Does anyone know where a good site to find information about species of turnicates and thier reproductive information is? I would appreciate it. I will try and get you a pic, but its orangish pink, with a roundish bottom, and two siphons coming off of it they retract if my anemone gets too close or the tank moves, so its not a sponge. Anyway thanks for looking and i appreciate any info you might have.

Not being a jerk or anything:) but I'd do a search on tunicates... Some of the better looking ones are hard to keep but there are many species that are very hardy in aquariums, some are often mistaken for sponge like botryllus and botrylloides. Either way they need good water flow, filter feeder foods, iodine, and to never be exposed to air. I have many squirts and have seen good results using Dt's and and Fritz-zyme or cycle...with all the other Kent filter feeder foods... Hope this helps -Yves

Bettonskyblue

I did do a search, but it was only between classes at school so it wasnt very in depth at all, the pictures of the ones i saw were very pretty, so i am assuming that they are the hard to keep ones, mine is cute and bright in color but not that impressive. I am pretty sure after looking at more pictures that they are sea squirts, cool little guys. Anyway, thank you for putting up with my questions and thanks for your replys!

Archived