Innovative Marine Aquariums

26w PC over 5 gal, what corals will thrive?

z6joker9

it's simular to an eclipse 6 but it's a regent 5. looks like eclipse made it under a different name. it's about 8 months old right now.

anyway, all the stock stuff is ripped out. it has an AC mini, 100 gph and a AC 101 powerhead going around 50gph. it has 8lbs of LR, 1.5" of LS, a few zoos and a couple of mushrooms. One zebra hermit, one very small emerald, two turbo snails, and a tank raised percula. 2x13w PC 6500k currently, but willing to upgrade if need be. Small computer fan keeping those temps down.

I considered making this a zoos and mushrooms tank. they both are doing very well. However, would i be able to keep anything else in a way that will make it thrive, not just survive?

will adding another 13 or 26 watts, perhaps in 03 acntic allow me to keep pretty much anything i wish with reguards to light(not factoring space), or will I will need more? I can fit more PCs under my hood, and i dont want to take the hood off and add MH.

opionons? Any help appreciated.

EDIT: Yes, I've done a search.

actually, I moderate at two different forums, both larger than this one, so i knew to do that first. I've found out as much as I could using the search function(I've been researching using it for 2 weeks), now I'd like some replies based on my specific questions for my specific tank, not vague answers for vaguely simular questions.

Thanks for any help provided.

It never hurts to add more light. If you have the room in the hood, why not drop another 13 watts in there. Plenty of light for keeping a wide variety of corals. Monitpora digitata would do beautifully under that lighting.

Pick up Bornemans Aquarium Corals book. An excellent resource with descriptions and specific requirements of corals.

I agree with the Third 13watts. All Corals with the exception of SPS will do fine. As for SPS I agree with Caj. Montipora sp. will do fine. Possibly a few others, but not many. If you have 14-15 inches of space in the hood you may be able to retro a 2x28/32 watt. At that point your coral selection will grow considerably.

Originally posted by Jahkaya

If you have 14-15 inches of space in the hood you may be able to retro a 2x28/32 watt.  At that point your coral selection will grow considerably.

I actually have 2 different 3x36w retros, i doubt i could squeeze one in but I will make some measurements. I could most definitely add another 2x13w to this hood, after taking out the stock filtration i have alot of extra front to back room under the hood.

Archived