Innovative Marine Aquariums

halide users--heat issues?

skylsdale

Those of you who use halides over your nanos, I'm curious as to what types of heat issues (if any) you have experienced, as well as what you had to do to control said heat issues.

Specifics on halide and tank size would be helpful as well.

20gal tank w/ 175w MH 6" from the water surface and 2 x 55w PC's (front and back)...

I have a single 4.5" ratshack 110v fan blowing into the canopy directly towards the back of the mogul socket, this sucker really moves some air and is almost silent.

no heat issues, I switched from 4 x 55w PC's which were 3" from the water and I had heat issues with those puppies...

The MH hood allows for a lot more airflow than my old PC hood, so heat has not been an issue for me.

YMMV

-skeletor-

Thanks for the link to another forum to hijack, Trevor. I'll be sure to tell everyone there that you referred me....hehe

Do you have any UV protective glass in that setup?

hahah anytime. the stock minibow setup has a strip of glass built in on which the hood rests on. since that makes no sense when i reread it, the second photo of the link i posted shows it. from what i've read that's good enough of a uv filter and all my corals are doing great.

mine is completely enclosed except for a fan at each end. take a look at the link in my other post for pictures. i think mine works because it's low and long, allowing the air from the fans to move quickly through. if you make a hood too tall i'd think that the air would stay "trapped" in there longer.

I have a PFO Parallel reflector wrapped around my MH and there is a 2" gap along the back. The fan blows air in from the side and it exits via the gap in the back.

-skeletor-

75 percent of heat issues can be resolved with fans. The 25% that can't are usually due to extreme wattage(250 over a 10, 400 over a 20) , lack of air conditioning, lack of ventilation (completely enclosed canopy) or a combination thereof. Absoultely no heat issues in my 18H with 175 using 2x 3" fans in a canopy with an open back and a PFO reflector. Would upgrade to a 250 if I had the cash and would not even think twice about the heat.

Archived