Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

attaching zoos to LR

thisanthrope

so any day now Im getting a assorted colored zoo frags in the mail! cant freaking wait. they will be single polyp frags and Im going to attach them to the LR already in the tank. what I need is some info on how to go about doing that.

whats a good super glue to use?

I assume I will have to take the LR out to do this so is there going to be die off of the LR and a ammonia spike to follow?

do I actually pyhsically handle the zoos out of the water?

Use tweezers?

any risk of neural toxins if I touch them?

static69static

I have never done any research about the toxicity of those, but when I was starting up my reef, my mom bought me some powder free rubber gloves to use when messing with the tank. I have never bothered to use them and I have tons of zoos. I just wash my hands good before going into the tank. When I frag mine, I usually take the rock out that has them and use a screwdriver or pliers and break off a small piece of rock with attached frags. I have also pulled them off, sometimes on the edges they aren't really attached and pull it back like a sticker, then put super glue on the new rock and attach it. After about 30 seconds or so I put it back into the tank. Just make sure the rock and back of zoos are as dry as possible.

Good Luck with tank

Justin

Here's how I've successfully fragged zoos from my tank. You'll need to acclimate them first to your water, then you could do like I have done.

1) Do a partial water change. Save old water in a plastic bowl. Enough to cover zoo when mounted on small piece of rubble. Do not add new water to tank. (Place the bag in the tank to get to proper temp and acclimate. Since water has been removed, you won't be displacing any water to make a mess!)

2) I also use gloves when handling zoos. Wal-Mart sells them rather inexpensively. Place a few small drops of glue on rubble out of the water. Then place it in the water to form a thin skin.

3) Place a small drop on base of zoo, out of the water. Then place it under the water in the plastic bowl to form a skin as well.

4) Then firmly place zoo onto rubble where you first placed your glue. I twist it a bit to make sure there is good contact.

5) Place mounted zoo back into plastic bowl for a few minutes to set up.

6) Mount additional zoos using the same procedure as above.

7) Place zoos into tank.

I haven't had any die from this, or from using the gel superglue. Use just enough to get the job done. Any glue around the base of the frag will be covered up within a couple of weeks.

Most of mine have propagated a few new zoos within a month after doing this too, growing right over the glue itself. I placed 4 polyps onto a piece of rubble a coupe, of months ago and now have a dozen coming on!

Best of luck to you!

gee thanks, for the info. I got them today and it looks like the person I got them from left them on pieces of rock. so... bonus. but If I could continue this thread about my lighting.

SeaMtn. : I see you have 2x36 to light your nano. I have never gotten a clear answer on whats the least amount zoos can survive at but I am using a 35watt PC retro and a 13 watt PC shop light for a total of 48 watts. I know my other zoos are surviving but do you think they will spread that easily at this much light? or should I add another 13 watts? or 86 it all and go for the 96 watt?

thanks again

Shane Jenkins

I don't know how much this will help but all I've got on my 10gal. is 2 10w Coralife PC 50/50's and my zoos are fine. Ive only had them for about 2 months but ive already got 1 new zoo polyp. hope this helps some. Shane "Arch" Jenkins:P

Archived