Top Shelf Aquatics

12g tank phosphates removal

gsechen

I got really bad case of Gelidium that is taking over the surface of my what used to be clean live rock. I really want to get a phosban reactor, fill it up with phosban and starve out those phosphates. I was wondering since I only have 1 tri color valida sps in my tank and the rest are zoas and lps, would I need to remove the sps in order to do so? What will happen to my water chemistry?

what other options do I got?

thanks

I got really bad case of Gelidium that is taking over the surface of my what used to be clean live rock. I really want to get a phosban reactor, fill it up with phosban and starve out those phosphates. I was wondering since I only have 1 tri color valida sps in my tank and the rest are zoas and lps, would I need to remove the sps in order to do so? What will happen to my water chemistry?

what other options do I got?

thanks

No. See my post on RC. You asked the same question.

chvynva916
No. See my post on RC. You asked the same question.

IME Rowaphos should do just fine; no need to add more complications with a reactor (at least with tanks as small as ours). I'd add that I've found elimination of phosphates (and I like rowaphos for that) to be key in making a nice clean, healthy tank.

IME Rowaphos should do just fine; no need to add more complications with a reactor (at least with tanks as small as ours). I'd add that I've found elimination of phosphates (and I like rowaphos for that) to be key in making a nice clean, healthy tank.

I think they make a mini-reactor to make the media more efficient.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...fm?pcatid=18531

I bought one yesterday. Awaiting delivery. Will post how it goes.

• 9 months later...
disaster999

from my experience, any GFO substance in the tank doesnt really help with killing off algae. it will keep the phos level low in the tank, but the algae will still be able to survive.

the best way i found to get rid of algae is using API algaefix marine. it successfully rid my tank of this nasty brown color hair algae from the power heads, return nozzles and rocks. best thing is i was able to keep everything in the tank. i dont have to move the SPS or inverts out. when you see the algae is gone, just stop dosing. ive used it in my tanks before with no ill effect.

i went with 2 little fishies reactor with ROWAphos. I'm destroying all phosphates haha

I would like to know how that worked for you.

Archived