Cultivated Reef

dieing zoos

kato

ok, so i recently go some orange zoos and they are not doing well. their use to be about 40 or more but now more then half have started to rot and die. only 4 are open right now what should i do can i keep those 4 alive? do i need to remove the dead ones?

also they are in a 10g my water it good but my ph was low but i got some ph buffer so it should be on now. all other paramiters are good. i also have other corals in the tank that are doing good and no fish apart from a peppermint and some crabs

10g tank coralife 28watt pc lights. tank has been set up for 3-4 months. aqua clear min filter and fluval 301 powerhead. ph 7.8 ( but i got some ph buffer today) Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, salinity 1.024

hmmm, i would expect some kinda of numbers (NH3, NO2, NO3) from the "rot and die" statement. that's unusual. you may want to double check one or more with a new test kit(s).

also you may want to poke around and examine the zoos. you may have some parasitic hitchhikers on them (e.g. worms, crabs, slugs, snails, spiders, etc.). zoos usually don't go straight to "rot and die" (i.e. falling apart) unless there's something helping the process (predator) or the water parameters read like cajun gumbo. :x

low pH doesn't help but it should cause the zoos to melt quickly. how recent is "recently"?

well i went to my LFS today to get my water tested. the guy told me that everything was ok and that the ph was just a bit low. i have had the zoos for about 3-4 weeks now and they are gradualy getting worse. do u think that i should frag the good one off? i looked around the tank and i could not see any thing killing them of. i als have some green one in the tank that are bigger and they are all open and doing god so i realy have no idea to waht happened?

i recommend a wc first. just for the hell of it.

then i'd take the sick zoo rock out and really examine it. you may want to examine it in a separate container (optimally with the water you just removed from the wc, hence that suggestion 1st). in the separate container you can really look it over closely and blast away (ala turkey baster) any rotting flesh or loose crappie.

some of the loose polyps that get blasted away may even re-attach, if they're whole (maybe). the animal/colony often reproduces this way (bailout reproduction) much like caulerpa going 'sexual'.

my thought here is that there's either a predator lurking on the colony's base or there's something in the water specifically irritating that species of zoanthid. the latter is unlikely imo as there's another healthy colony of similar(?) zoos in the same tank. but if it is in the water you may want to add addt'l chemical filtration (e.g. carbon, chemi-pure, Poly-Filters, etc.).

is there anything upwind of the sick colony? something that can sting it by drifting tentacles downstream, pee/crap downwind, etc.?

btw remember to really wash and rinse your hands before and afterwards. ;)

well i just cleaned them up, and did a wc i could not find any preditors or and thing stinging it. thnx for the help tinyreef, i guess i have to wait and see what happens from here

try putting it in a new location. it just seems unusual one zoo likes it and the other doesn't. altho the green one could be palythoa and less touchy/sensitive (ime) than the prettier zoanthids.

you might want to try the re-location and carbon filtering. good luck!

It could also be a coral disease you might want to consider a Kent Tech-D Dip or low salinity dip to try to force out any potential predators I agree with tiny on the relocation idea thats usually my first step. There are many things that will affect zoo's but once the problem is found they are pretty good about coming back...I frag every nice zoo colony and place some in a different tank just incase it doesnt do well in my main tanks so I have a few on reserve. Also I could be wrong but I've heard that strontium is pretty good for ailing zoo's I've tried it and seemed to help but I was doing the other stuff too...Good luck-Yves

I second the dip.

it could be a bacterial attack, or fungal. Can you see any discoloration to the base of zoos?

also, have you been trying to target feed them ? they do need food too ;)

I recieved some great zoos a while back. Most are just fine now, but some morphs were disapearing rapidly. I never saw anything eating them though. My hermits were lurking around, so I got rid of them. But since they're removal I've lost a few more. It is a real pain in my butt and wallet. Are some colors more appealing to predators than others? All my Orange centers are gone :(

Archived