Innovative Marine Aquariums

10k or 20k MH?

irish1028

Irish:

If this is to be your only light source I would go with 20k. 20K is actually Dimmer than a 10k. If you went with 10k I would recommend supplementing actinic.

20k's over a nano are the way to go IMO. That way you don't have to supplement actinic and the tank isn't so bright you don't have to wear shades to look in it.

I love my XM's and are using them on my 150 gallon tank as well.

HTH!

As a General rule 20k's will always have less par then a 10k or 6500k.

Ken What kelvin are the Coralvue you are getting? They have a 10, 15 and 20k I was thinking of replacing my radium with a Coralvue 10k, to get better coral growth. They are cheap and supposedly have good Par. The color is nice as well.

I'm getting the 20k. Can't beat it at under $60. I run pretty white on all of my tanks, and the 10 looks great with the 10k only, but I really need a new bulb, so I figured why not try the CV 20k. Those pics of my deresas are under 10k with no actinic: picture them with some blue in there....

Picture them with a 20k and actinic 36w PC. I need more light, so it's either trade out the bulb for a 10k and lose blue, of upgrade to a 20k 250. Which is cheaper, hmmm, let me think.

250 bulbs AINT cheap. Personally, I light the look of 10k with actinic...balances nicely. in fact, over my 65 I run a 175 mogul 10k ushio and a 250 DE 10k ushio, paired with 2x110 URI actinics, and you really can't see the actinic very much. Snap em on/off and it really is nothing more than a better, full spectrum light, but the actinics on the dawn/dusk are wicked.

Archived