Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

YellowPony's Biocube 29 Journal

The_Yellow_Pony

SpankythePyro

more picks of the jawfish! I had a friend who ordered one yesterday and it should be in friday :), hopefully its a real looker!

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The_Yellow_Pony

I will get pics ASAP.

You know me and pics....he's a little shy right now but I expect after his display at the store he should d great. I had them feed him for me and he was all over. There was a pair of clowns in with him and he asserted himself well.

The_Yellow_Pony

Pics of the shy little guy:

100_3597.jpg?t=1244583270

100_3599.jpg?t=1244583287

As he acclimates, I'm hoping he decides to come out front. fingerscrossed

The_Yellow_Pony

I did....my sandbed up front is about 2.25 inches now

I kept it shallow in the back in hopes he chooses to come out front.

ok but they need at least 3 inches of sand imo... but it may work.

i really miss my jawfish :(

however i now want a pearly jawfish pair :D

The_Yellow_Pony

I still have some sand left so I can add some more if need be.

Sorry about yours again. :(

This guy had a lot of spunk when he was at the store. He seems real timid right now though.

Any thoughts on convincing him the front is better than the back aside form piling a whole bunch of rocks where he is chilling currently?

dont do it!!

i made my old jawfish go into the DIY burrow when i first put him in, and that could of stressed him and could of caused the ich, but it is highley unlikley. so just let him be. if he does make a burrow where you dont like, then coax him to make a new burrow by only spot-feeding near the spot you want him to be. so then he knows where the food will be.

forgot to say, buy lots of small pieces of live rock rubble so he can use it for his burrow. put the rubble where you want him to burrow.

The_Yellow_Pony

Thanks for the tips dude. I was thinking about taking an old turbo shell and cutting a hole in it. Kind of like the DIY barnacle ones... I dunno though...just a thought.

He will most definitely only be offered food out front so he has to come out.

Again, thanks for the tips.

The_Yellow_Pony

Alright...so I am a little concerned this morning....

Now for anyone who said too fast, etc....It's not my cycle I am concerned about...

After turning my lights on this morning...yes yes....no timer yet... I was not able to locate my pearly jaw before leaving for work... Now, I know they can be great hiders and he may have created a den last night and I just couldn't see it where he created it but there is something that concerns me....

My flower nem had, what for lack of a better description, looked like burgundy thread protruding from it's mouth this morning.

I spot fed the nem mysis yesterday. I am correct in being concerned that I have a flower nem that absolutely must go? I am thinking he didn't like his 2 cents worth of mysis and may have taken the opportunity to have a gourmet dinner....I could be wrong and I hope I am....

I will post a pic of the nem when I get home. I did not have time to upload before work as I was already running late...

Any thoughts?

Last but not least, SLOW DOWN!!!!! Give the tank some time! If you are still getting an ammonia reading YOUR TANK IS NOT CYCLED! It take time for the bacteria to catch up to the new bio load. Everytime you add a new life form your bio load goes up and you tank has to go through a mini cycle. When your tank is reading zero ammonia and zero nitrite the add ONE of your clown fish. Give the tank a week and then add the other. After you tank is about 6 months old you can go a little more crazy with additions all at once.

If you trust me on this one you will be way better off and it will save you money and lost live stock. I know you added cured live rock but you also added some rock from a store. And the whole tank will build up a later of bacteria that is vital to the tank's stability.

Lokks good so far! Keep up with the diligence!

I would have to agree with Dooderino. My concern is that you tested your params and found a trace of ammonia...then approx 3 hours later, you tested again and got a zero reading and decided to add a fish. With it only being 12 days into cycle and already adding a fish, I wish you the best of luck. I wish you had waited at least another week to make sure that everything remains stable.

Just stating my opinion...

The_Yellow_Pony

All opinions are appreciated.

My tests with trace ammonia were on 9/8 at about 9:45am. My tests at 0 were on 9/9 at about 1230 pm.

So, almost 27 hours apart, not 3. Let me apologize if any of that sounded argumentative. It was not to be such, just pointing out the time frame.

As you can see, I have been monitoring my params daily and I am honestly not expecting much of a spike. I expect some. But I honestly do not expect much of a spike at all.

Thank you all for your constructive criticism. I appreciate all input and will use everything I learn as I go.

I have received some comforting words that my nem was probably just pooing....not eating my jawfish....I will be staking out the tank later today for Pearl face(temp name until something cooler is determined)

The_Yellow_Pony

So...boring stuff first and then....

pH=8.2**

Nitrate=0

Nitrite=0

Ammonia=0

**First pH came us as 7.4 and I was like OMG what happened ammonia maybe what? It would have to be a huge ammonia spike for that drop....so I tested ammonia immediately. 0. So I think to myself..hmmm..and retest pH in a different tube. 8.2. I then tested in a brand new tube(rinsed of course) and got 8.2. Must have been some sort of contaminant in tube 1. All happiness ensued.

And then...for those tagging along...I staked out the tank for Pearl face(again...sticking until something cooler comes up).

To my joy......

100_3608.jpg?t=1244663730

Sorry for the crappy pic. He is shy. He must have been hiding pretty well and busy all day to make his little condo.

So, as a wrap up...

All params are great

Pearl face is happy

Oh...2 small frags arrived today from TM01. I am acclimating them now and will post open pics and review once they are situated.

The_Yellow_Pony

Zoas opening up...Thanks TM01!

100_3637.jpg?t=1244679852

I will post pics of the GSP when it opens....

I almost got tagged by an uber bristle worm when I moved the GSP into the tank...didn't realize it was right next to my thumb until I placed the GSP...

*whew...close one* He was diesel...about as thick as a pen.

I know nano...how do you like my drama for the day?

I think I got my self over worked up for nothing.

I know nano...how do you like my drama for the day?

I think I got my self over worked up for nothing.

:lol:

welcome to reefing!!

The_Yellow_Pony

Haha. I think I have the equation worked out.... Panic + Stress + Money +Addiction = Reefing

I think I am at least close. :P

Haha. I think I have the equation worked out.... Panic + Stress + Money +Addiction = Reefing

I think I am at least close. :P

Your tank looks great man! Enjoy the corals..

The_Yellow_Pony

Thanks again. I will update my review with more pics once that GSP opens. The zoas seem happy. All 8-10 were open this morning. I think they like my flow!

The_Yellow_Pony

Today's update:

pH=8.2

Nitrate=0

Nitrite=0

Ammonia=0

The pearl has been busy excavating and even poked his head out for a piece of mysis today. He seems to be getting a little more bold.

Found some snail eggs on the back.

I received 2 frags yesterday. 1 zoa and 1 GSP frag. The zoas seem to be very happy:

100_3658.jpg?t=1244755144

The GSP is still closed but I'm not too worried. I moved it to some higher flow so it should open shortly.

I will be going away sat night and coming back monday so..... :scarry:

Oh.... My frogspawn............................

Is splitting!!!!!!

100_3624.jpg?t=1244755256

100_3630.jpg?t=1244755278

It now has 3 mouths! The head on the far right was looking...wide yesterday so I looked close and ...2 mouths...they are still currently attached but I guess that means it likes me ^_^.

The_Yellow_Pony

Thanks!

I'll drop by your thread in a bit to take a gander. I think I saw one for your endeavor if I'm not mistaken.

I love my frogspawn too!

omgomgomg!!!

my hammer is smaller and just split. it was small, looked sick, then **BAM** it was twice the sze that it usually is.

The_Yellow_Pony

I know. I am completely stoked about it all!

Everything has worked out just like I wanted.

And I will be getting a wicked coral pack soon

*winks to Kray

I have had to move my k1 up twice because my xenia is getting taller.... and taller.... and taller. Neither feather dropped a crown during the tanks switch. The frogspawn is almost split fully. Insta-open zoas...I'm just waiting for my GSP to open.

I have enjoyed this tank 300% more than the old tank. I think being in the living room and in direct site works in its favor!

Archived