SaltCritters.com

YellowPony's Biocube 29 Journal

The_Yellow_Pony

The_Yellow_Pony

lol... all of my current inhabitants are great... juts the batch that got cooked on a fedex truck somewhere is not....

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:( I'm sorry hearing about your bad luck with your last shipment...Don't give up. I know, your tank will be nice to look at when matures.
The_Yellow_Pony

Sorry for lack of updates. I have been busy as all hell. I'm going away for a week, leaving next Wednesday and have been working double time. Ugh.

As of current, there is one surviving frag from the batch that came in. Some currently unidentified zoas because they have still refused to open.

All else is well though.

The Jawfish has taken to rearranging frag plugs to his liking. Strong little bugger he is. Clowns are great.

My frogspawn was looking pissed off because the one k1 had moved when scraping algae and was blowing right on it. It has been readjusted and the frogspawn is opening back up like it should.

I think I may do a water change today...it depends on how late I'm working :huh:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I love that avatar clip you have - funniest thing I've ever seen. Like the little one is saying "i'm hypnotizing you now" and then BAM - gets tackled.

Can I see this anywhere else? I'd like to show some people the video.

I love that avatar clip you have - funniest thing I've ever seen. Like the little one is saying "i'm hypnotizing you now" and then BAM - gets tackled.

Can I see this anywhere else? I'd like to show some people the video.

Thanks... I love it as well!!! My 2 cats look identical to those 2!

I'm not sure where else you could find it at???

B)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
The_Yellow_Pony

So.... I think I am back. I had a bit of a rough patch with the tank, work, etc and I am sorry to those that probably thought I died some horrific death.

The tank is in shaky at best condition and will need some TLC.

So, I will add the info from the topic that I just posted in the AIO threads below:

Spring has sprung:

....and it's time for me to fix my tank.

I haven't logged in here for quite some time due to schedule/life/a tank crash that, for lack of better terms, turned me off for a bit.

I went away last summer for about a week or so and in that time frame, things did not go so well. Now, it was not the fault of the fish sitter as there was pretty much nothing she should do. The ballast on my lights went and

for whatever reason, things started melting immediately. /sigh

By the time I got home all that remained was a single clown. Now, I called oceanic for a replacement ballast and partially due to work/and my sheer disgust with the situation, I never got around to actually getting the numbers off my lid for oceanic. Needless to say, The clown has been enjoying (sarcasm conveyed here) the natural light cycles of the sun ever since.

So, I think it is time to fix it.

Previously, I had planned to add a fuge and I think I am ready. Now, here is my current dilemna:

A. Do I plumb a 10g into the system for a mostly macro and some shrimp dealio

B. Do I plumb a 20L into the system, focusing on macro but with some space for "that fish that doesn't play well with others/corals" that we all want but can't add to the reef

C. Do I plumb a 29g into the system as a "giant" fuge/ place to put those things that aren't reef safe but that we all want

D. None of the above.

All of the options above use hardware that I already have for at least the tank and lights. I have a current CF fixture that I bought years ago, unsure of the model/ wattage. It is a 30" fixture.

So, to all you reefers out there, what should I do?

Current setup (roughly anyway):

BC29, stock lighting (dead ballast)*

2 x K2's

"homemade media rack" -needs to be made better or buy an inTank one

40ish lbs of LR

1 lonely clown

maybe some residual GSP but i don't think so

*I am pretty sure I plan on getting the 4.36 nanotuners upgrade kit

So, let's here some input.

Thanks in advance!

The_Yellow_Pony

So here goes nothing. The first updates in a real long time...

After dead ballasts, melting corals, etc...I almost hung it up but.............

Oceanic is sending me 2 new ballasts via UPS as of about 20 mins ago. Woot! (first woot in a while)

So, i cleaned up a light fixture the other day...so I could see how bad the damage was....

Eww gross light

100_4367.jpg

In the ghetto...

100_4375.jpg

and a super sad before and after "the incident"

Before:

100_4011.jpg

After

100_4377.jpg

:(

So... I think the ballasts will be here by the weekend...maybe Need new bulbs too =/

nanutuners has their bulbs on sale for like 10 bucks...Anyone know if they are any good? hmm... I might order them anyway..even just as an intermittent thing.

The_Yellow_Pony

So.... Apparently my tank managed to sustain itself amazingly in the line of water quality:

As of last night:

pH=8.2

Nitrate=0

Nitrite=0

Ammonia=0

Some little aiptasia survived too so I grabbed 2 peps from the LFS last night as well as a mushroom rock. Not going to get anything else though until my ballasts and bulbs get here. It was just so sad with nothing but some bristleworms and a few assorted pests that I had to get some life in there.

The_Yellow_Pony

So, got rid of a bunch of the excess macro today and took some pics of the shrooms and one of the shrimp (both are in there and fervently attacked my hand whilst I was grabbing some of the macro...at least i know they aren't shy :P )

100_4392.jpg

100_4385.jpg

Obligatory FTS (will be trying to do 1 per day to see how the recovery goes)

100_4384.jpg

The_Yellow_Pony

So, I got some new stuff today. A rock of Superman mushrooms, some zoas, etc.

I got some watermelons, a few AoG's, some atomic greens and a few others.

I have some pics now, will get some others once the zoas open:

Superman mushrooms:

100_4399.jpg

Some zoas and some anthelia

100_4407.jpg

FTS

100_4400.jpg

The_Yellow_Pony

So, all in all starting too look like a tank again. Everything seems happy as of now. All params are holding steady.

Paly's

100_4424.jpg

New Zoas and supermans looking happy (some are pissed since i was just playing in the tank)

100_4429.jpg

100_4439.jpg

FTS

100_4436.jpg

The_Yellow_Pony

I have a temporary light until I get the official new light. I don't have an ETA yet on the new lights(probably this next week but I have the fixture off of my old tank. All in all it is currently 130 watts of OLD PC lighting. 1 10k white and 1 actinic. I removed the crappy old shroud off of the old fixture and it puts off quite a bit more light than I remember.

The new ballasts and bulbs will be replacements for the BC hood and I should be upgrading to the nanotuners 4.36 at the end of may.

The_Yellow_Pony

So.... FINALLY got my lights and ballasts and it looks soooo much better.

Old actinic vs new actinic

100_4446.jpg

My Zoas look like Zoas:

100_4449.jpg

100_4450.jpg

FTS

100_4447.jpg

Now , I will need to filter the light for a day or so. That is a drastic change from the old bulbs.

I am stoked....that my zoas actually have zoa color now! lol

Archived