Coral Vue Hydros

YellowPony's Biocube 29 Journal

The_Yellow_Pony

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The_Yellow_Pony

well guys...i'm peacin' out...4:30am rolls around awful quick here on the east coast

Night all!

Lol peace its like eight here. West coast for life!

More pics tomorrow when the corals are open :lockdown:

The_Yellow_Pony

Alright, I didn't have a whole lot of time to fiddle this morning and watch things. (get up at 4:30 have to be at work at 5....15-25 minute drive). No time to fiddle :(

But....the water is much clearer. It had hardcore clouded up when I was having my shroom melt for dinner :tears: But, this morning it is much better.

My jawfish apparently wen to town last night collecting rubble that the shrooms were on. I can believe the size rocks that guy moved! :blink: If I had to guesstimate a body mass comparison, it would be like me moving 2 of me... with my face. Impressive at least...godly at best.

For anyone not up to date on the "incident" here's a short timeline:

6/23/09: awesome package shipped from cali

6/24/09:said package got to jersey, only about 200 miles to go!

6/25/09: awesome package got to local fedex early in the am, sent out for delivery.

Package delivered around 12:30pm, went directly into climate controlled dwelling.

1:30pm: Package picked up by stoked recipient.

2:00pm: box opened at home base, immediately noticed an off smell

2:01pm: bags floating, can't see frags well to determine health

2:30pm(give or take): initially started the frag placing process. Chalice flesh disintegrated immediately, as in fell off.

Open back of shrooms(all expertly packed) to find that shrooms are probably toast. Place frags in tank hoping for some salvageable something... nope...by about 15 minutes later, I could tell that they were toast. Zoas look alright.

3:30pm...water is cloudy like a mofo... all current inhabitants not looking happy about dead tissue/whatever chems were released...grr

I will update water params later today when I get home. Hopefully the "incident" as we will now refer to it, didn't affect my params in any obnoxious way.

That is a rough summary of the "incident". Time line may be a little off but whatever, I was just trying to catch everyone up to speed.

Everything that was in there previously now looks happy again so I can't imagine it has as of now.

I don't know if I mentioned yesterday that my existing zoa colony has gone from 10 polyps to 11. Woo!

and..... I see another one starting to form. They must like it ;)

My GSP also looks as if it is moving/getting larger...now is about time I start cursing putting it in there :haha:

My xenia has apparently divided itself into almost 3 stalks from the 1 on the bigger rock and there is the xenia baby on the frag plug below....well, at least some stuff is happy right now.

Well, sorry for the novel. I just want to update on the "incident".

As for current media being run to filter out the bad stuff (for anyone who doesn't want to skim through 2-3 pages of YP's private lounge, here it is:

Chamber I- filter floss

Chamber 2, makeshift media rack- filterfloss,sponge (will be leaving soon) purigen

Chamber 2-Chemipure

Chamber 3-Phoszorb

So hopefully, we're golden and I'll be ordering some rics (which I was sooooooooo looking forward to) shortly. They have an orange ric rock at my LFS...2 tiny rics...for 60 bucks! grrr....too much for 2 mini rics of LFS quality. The same store is selling blue steel monkey snots or whatever they are for like 10 a polyp. Fck that. Sorry...my LFS irritates me. The only real good one is an hour and a half away....

Alright, I'm done now... My novel just became a trilogy. Sorry guys.

westcoastreefer84

60 bucks for 2 rics? WOW! I'm glad I don't live in Pa anymore ( former philly resident ), last time I bought rics they were 11.99 a head at the lfs, 10 bucks a head isn't bad for blue zoas, if there frags, 10 bucks a head on a colony is crazy though

Do you have a local reef club? Its been some time since I've purchased anything retail, I love my local reefers!

Sorry about your loss, I try not to order anything, but if you do plan on getting livestock from various sources, you really should have a quaruntine tank, they are worth there weight in gold, when you've had to deal with parasites or a coral disease, you should never, ever, ever, drop corals your not familiar with the source into your display tank! Online vendors move a lot of product and deal with a lot of differant suppliers, its best to buy aquacultured specimens only from local growers

Sorry for rambling, I know how some bad coral can screw your tank up, its a nightmere

The_Yellow_Pony

I don't know any local reef clubs.

Yeah, we have nothing good really local anymore... there is what was a Big Al's and is now a captain nemo's...and hidden reef is still around but i hate driving into the city. We also have that fish place which is about 1.5 hours out from me....

I got my stuff from a member here...it was 0% anyone's fault other than fedex...I am definitely considering setting up a QT tank. I have a 10 gal, an AC70, and a heater...pretty much I guess I just need lights.

Thanks for your input!

The_Yellow_Pony

I want all to know that Kraylen gave me a superb list, expertly packed for the cost. I fault fedex entirely.

Kray will def. be getting more of my money :)

the zoas are thinking about open!

The_Yellow_Pony

Update... not so good.....

Acan melted overnight.... the green zoas are toast... gorilla nips are fuzzy (ha...i just realize how funny that phrase was) like they are going to start melting.... well, all zoas but what i think are the bright pinks are starting to melt.... The pink ones (I think) were looking like they wanted to open yesterday..... but honestly, at the rate things are going...I expect them to start melting too....

water params are as follow:

ph=8.2

Nitrate=0

Nitrite=0

Ammonia=0

dkh=9

calc = 480

temp=81.5

sg= 1.025

F*ck.

The_Yellow_Pony

I know.... more like :tears:

Wow.... I haven't been this bummed for a long time.... at least params appear to be stable for now. That's good.

<---woo I hit 600!

Wow everyones having bad luck with their corals. Just keep your tank stable and don't mess with anything, sometimes that works haha.

Archived