Innovative Marine Aquariums

Finally...my 16 gallon Nano

southpaw23

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cboy - so far i've had no problems with the fuge even when the power goes out....two reasons for that....one is coz the refugium was designed to limit the back flow in the case of a power failure...if i were to guess it would be less than a gallon that flows back into the main tank. but secondly, i keep my water level in the tank about 1-2 inches from the top of the tank so even when the water from the refugium flows back into the tank, it doesnt overflow... :)

undawahta - the torch's tentacles are not in contact with the cup coral at all....i've come to conclude that the bloody LFS sold me a dead coral (which really cheeses me off) It's been about 3 weeks since the cup went into the tank....no changes, it's colors are still the same but not a single sign of polyp extentions..... :( oh well, live and learn.... :P

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful setup u have there, southpaw23. My tank is already reaching its 7th month and is not even half as beautiful as yours! I think I am gonna re-aquascape the whole darn thing again. That's very smart of u to have made the most of the shape of your aquarium. BTW, how regular to you do top-offs and water changes, since u've got 2 cooling fans running? Do u dose any additives to enhance coral growth? How much did the custom fuge and the aquarium cost? I'm planning on setting up a 5 gallon nano-reef indoors where it is cooler.

Hey southpaw Your tank is looking superb...great job on it dude! I suddenly feel that my tank looks rather poor. :( (a bit of envy there) :)

Keep it up, you're doing good dude.

My aquarium is in the terrace where the temperature is much higher than indoors(which is why I seldom use artificial lighting during the day). Contrary to what u may be thinking, my aquarium is doing more than just fine with natural sunlight. I'm not too sure what the actual temperature of my aquarium is as I'm using an adhesive external temperature. However, everything looks fine, and the corals are very healthy. The zoos have multiplied, the leather corals are fragging.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow...i've been away for quite a while...nice to know that i've got replies :)

Well, not that all of you would like to know but i was over in the US 3 weeks ago...visiting friends....over in Miami, Mississippi and LA...and got back not long ago...

Was a good trip...but didn't get to drop by any LFS while i was there :(

The good news is that the tank is still doing great....i managed to snag me a pair of blue leg hermits before i left for the states and boy were they a saviour....i got back and found that all my hair algae in the tank was gone....i was starting to get small patches here and there before i left and was worried that it might've taken over the tank but that was taken care of :P Will try and grab a pic of my life savers sometime soon....

To answer some of ur questions:

Peppermint: I managed to build myself an auto top off system about a month or so back and it has been the best investment yet. The tank sg is much more stable as the float switch triggers off the top off about 3-5 times a day adding small amounts of fresh water to the tank to make up for evap. I hardly ever worry about top off anymore...except once every 3-4 days when i have to fill up the top off bucket.

And no, i don't use any additives in the tank....even so, coraline algae seems to be growing fine in the tank...tho not as fast as others who use additives i'm sure....and another good sign would be that my coco worms has been growing his tube and now there's like a good 2 inches of new tubing that it has formed since i first put it in the tank....i'll have to get a picture of that. I'm taking it as a good sign that calcium levels in the tank are sufficient (currently in the 400s)

As far as costing goes....the Custom fuge only cost me RM70 to build...adding in the PVC tubing and all...probably around RM 80ish...which translates to around USD20. The tank was a similar design to the Jebo's in the US and it cost me about RM350 if i'm not mistaken....it was a long time ago....

Well...tell u what...PM me ur specific questions and i'll try to answer them then....

Lastly, a big thanx to all for stopping by and lending ur ideas and comments.....updates to come soon.... :)

• 5 weeks later...
Originally posted by southpaw23

I suppose i should also post my tank specs along with all the pictures eh?...Here's what i know

16 gallon Tank w/ 8 gallon custom refugium

28 pounds of live rock

30 plus pounds of sand (this includes the 4 inch DSB sitting in the fuge)

2x 36 watt PCs (one 6500k, one 10000k Actinic)

2x 100gph Powerheads

approx 130 gph (550 lph) PH in the Fuge

I think that about covers it....lemme know if i missed out anything.

Oh and for the lighting....i haven't gotten around to it yet but i was thinking of trying to cram 3 36watt PCs into the hood...it can be done...i just haven't gotten around to it....it would require me finding a suitable reflector or stainless steel plate to mount the lights on...which seems to be a problem seeing that i don't have the tools to shape one even if i get my hands on it....

will see how the tank progresses along then i'll decide if i need a lighting upgrade....i don't think i'll be venturing much into the realm of sps just simply coz they don't seem too common around LFS in Malaysia  (but who knows...  :) )....and i've yet to decide on rearing a clam so for now, the plan is to stick with softies and a few LPS.

Nice new tank, which will eventually get even better..

Ps...Now all i need todo is to get the money together for my Jebo 70 litre with inbuilt trickle filter.. i'll be taking pictures of it when i get the nano tank.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys...

wow..didn't reaise that it's been so long since i last updated this thread. I guess i just got a lil caught up with work and stuff in the past few months. Can't believe my tank is already a year old. Wow! :)

not much has gone into the tank in the lastt month but i guess in the last 6 months, there have been some changes. for one, i went ahead and added another fish to the tank about 6 months ago. it was the six line wrasse which was a pretty controversial decision after posing the question to the forum but believe it or not, all is well...no aggresion in the tank and all the inhabitants are living peacefully, at least for the past half a year. The other new inhabitant in the tank is a spiny blue lobster.

As for corals....really not much has been added...i had a couple of casualties, which is mainly the yellow devils hand finger leather which had fallen to the sandbed during a three week vacation and never did recover after that. Also lost my beautiful orange plate to mysterious causes...new corals include a capnella frag (which has tripled in size) from a fellow reefer and a frogspawn.

Anyways, enough talk...here's some crappy pics i've taken recently with a 1.3 megapixel cam...3ill get better pics later and when i've scrapped my glass a lil better.

Tank parameters are good...with nitrates hovering around 5ppm. First pic of the full tank shot..sorry bout the horrible quality.

On a side note....i actually got around to starting an 7 gallon tank for my bedroom which has been runnin for d past 4 months..

specs are:

26watts (50/50 pc lighting)

HOB filter

Approx 1 inch sand

Approx 10 pounds live rock

peppermint22

See, I told u it will be big! My tiny capnella frags have also grown. A controversial issue here: it seems like they do better in slightly filthy water. Right now I change the water once in every 3 or 4 weeks. (heheh...gettin lazy) BTW, the pagoda cup coral in ur pic doesn't look too good.

Archived