SaltCritters.com

Comments on 5.5g setup please.

maarken

My other two tanks are both FW, but there's a little spot on my desk that wants a tank and I thought I'd give SW a try.

So, here's the proposed setup:

5.5 AGA tank

AGA glass canopy

28W AGA light strip

50W heater, probably in AC300

AC300 for circulation and future refugium

10LBs uncured liverock from premiumaquatics.com

1-1.5" aragonite sand, sugarsized I think

I'm thinking mostly soft corals, couple shrimp. Fish question below.

Now for the questions. :)

1) Is this light decent? Anyone know of a good ready-made setup for the 5.5? I'm not DIY minded in the slightest.

2) Is the AC300 enough/too much for this size tank? Would I need another powerhead?

3) Fish. Not really sure about how to figure bioload for SW yet with all the non-fish life in there. I'd LOVE Ocellaris Clownfish, but a Chromis would be ok. This is mainly the spot I'm unsure of. Suggestions are welcome.

So, thoughts/comments/flames?

*EDIT* Added the 50W heater I'd forgotten.

I`m just getting started to but for lights I ordered from hellolights.com their coralife 9w x 2 hood for 36.00 its on sale right now. It comes with one 10,000k bulb, and one actinic bulb.

Yeah, I looked at those at my LFS today.

I wonder if you could put two of those on a 5.5 tank crosswise? Might hang over the back a bit, but it would light the fuge...

/me ponders

--Maarken

On the lighting i'm not too sure on since I don't know the dimensions of the tank, so if you will please list.

I have a 7g bow with the AC 300 and it puts out a pretty good current. If you cut out the little plastic stoper in the intake houseing you will beable to slow the flow alot more, or you can order a smaller impeller.

I have an old AC mini and used it's impeller in the 300 for a few days but the flow wasn't enough for what I keep.

Fish- I would only put one small one in until you are more experienced. I have two in my 7g but wouldn't put anymore in.

Perk's stay fairly small so due most wrasses. The 6 line wrass is what I have in the 7g and I love it. I also have a small false perk in with it.

Neon gobby's are cool small fish.

Dimensions are 16"x8"x10".

the Mini Aqualights are 9"x5.5", so I'm thinking I can put two on and just let them overhang 1" in the back.

--Maarken

AQ300 is too big for a 5.5. with sugar-sized sand......trust me! I have a AQ150 and have to run it at half throttle ad have LR rubble on the sand where the flow hits. If I dont' it digs the sand away from the front glass. Even if you run a AQ150 impeller in the AQ300, you still might have issues.

What ever lighting you settle with, go as big as you can, even for just softies. You will undoubtly want more down the road.....you could probably fit a 28W or 32W retro kit in the stock AGA lighting hood.

Archived