inTank Media Baskets

My 5G Hex Nano - Week 2

beccatech

Ok to give some history, back at the beginning of the year I started a 15g that crashed an burned. I sent that which was still living to a friends to live until I was brave enough to try again.

So to start, some specs...

5G Marineland Hex

Coralife 50/50 mini floresent bulb

Surface Skimmer attached to the in hood Eclipse filter

Rio 500??? powerhead for current

The Livestock...

2 False Percula's

1 Horseshop Crab

2 Blue Legged Hermits

1 Burgandy Hermit

? little stars, I think they may be chocolate chips but I don't know

2 Margarita Snails

2 unknown snails that the lady at my LFS reccommended but I didn't bother to ask the names. One of them is supposed to sift through the sand though.

Corals...

1 GSP

1 Red Chili

1 Purple Leather Finger

1 Yellow Leather

1 Red Mushroom

1 Neusense anemone (They call them a neusense because they spawn alot. I had the guy originally in my 15G and has been at my friends since then with no spawning so I thought they had pegged it wrong. Today I go home to fine TWO more of them in my tank, lucky me!)

How I setup the tank...

I went to the LFS and bought a bag of the agronite LS and a jug of agro rock mix. Combined the two in my tank and gave the remiander to a friend. I took back some of the LR from my friend and made a pretty design and let the thing cycle. 3 days later I was ready to go. I bought the GSP and Horseshoe crab first. After a week of success with the I got the cleaner crew, the Clowns and an Anemone for them to tank as a host. I had overestimated the size of my tank and grossly underestimated the size of the anemone, it took up just about the entire tank. I gave it two days, the clowns weren't interested and it looked to have started stinging the GSP. I took it back and exchanged for the leathers and it has been happy sailing so far.

I do a 10% water change every other day to assure my water quality is good. I am doing a Berlin method of filtration, running only some rubble rock in the filter for the water to push through.

Let me know what you think, I have attached a picture that I hope will come out. I will throw some more up once I figure out posting on this site. Thanks in advance for your comments!!!

it looks ok for now but id get rid of the horseshoe crab as they need sand to live and lots of it. you dont have enough surface area. also slow down your stocking. i realize you used cured rock but let the sand settle in and grow some bacteria. its looking good though and keep up with updates. i hope you have better luck with this tank than you did with your last.

Yeah, horseshoe crab has to go, very cool looking but they do get big and need lots of room. I see you have a chili coral. How's that doing? I was unsuccesful with the one I had.

The chili coral is only doing OK. To my surprise it actually did better in my old tank then it is doing now so we will see. I think it may have something to do with the lighting but even at night it's not getting that big. Time will tell though =)

Archived