Pod Your Reef

10g ready to use Hood?

mmoulder

I have a standard 10g tank that I am going to create a nano-reef in, and am wondering whats the cheapest and easiest solution for lighting. I have looked at building my own hood, but that seems like a lot of work, but probably the best solution. Is there a hood out there that I can just buy and plug in and use, that is fairly cheap, under $80?

I built my hood for a 10g in a few hours with less than $20 including the paint as well as new paint brushes. A few feet of 1x8 lumber. A few feet of 1/2 inch square stock and a 1x2 foot piece of plywood for the top.

For $80 I'll pull the lights and you can have it!

dude, 1 small piece of plywood, a 1 foot long piece 1x2, and 6 of those corner braces, can make you a cheap a$$ open backed hood ready for lights for like 10 bucks. cheaper if you already have wood. Yeas a nice one, painted with hinged top will cost more, ( like $25 ) But you'll be happy you made it, plus, you can make it as tall/short as you like. This is better cuz you can make more room to cram many lights, or you could buy the 20 dollar hood that goes with the tank and retrofit w a smartlit from csl.

That would look like the most "original" configuration. Have fun.

I want it with the cost of lights for under $80. Sorry I meant bulbs not included not the fixtures.

I heard the lights of America are good to use and cost $30 each. Anyone have experience using these?

Archived