Top Shelf Aquatics

questions for setup

jjharrisx4

Well, I've been reefing for a while, but I'm getting ready to set up the smallest reef I've ever done.

I'm getting ready to set up a 5g hex tank that I've had forever as a f/w tank. I have 2x13w PC already that I was planning to use. Do you think that'd be enough for shrooms/leathers/GSP?

I figured about 5-10 lbs LR, a smattering of LS, a 180rio, and a 50w heater and I'm good to go. I'll DIY the canopy, and make a trim to match. Sound good?

sounds good except for the rio. i think the resulting spiraling flow may be a little much due to the almost circular form.

maybe get a couple of smaller PH's (e.g. microjets or minijets) at different levels and directions. i would also add a hob but that's just pers pref.

lighting should be a little higher still, even with the corals you want imo. if you can fit 2x28W quads that may be better or 1-quad and 2x13W actinics. ohhh, eff it and just get the 70W MH. ;) hth

What I've done in the past is use the PH to blast from front to back. This then splits the current and creates pretty good turbulance. I plan to use the rio b'cuz I already have it!

I may upgrade the lighting in the future, but I have the 13's, and can't go too crazy because I plan on having it on my desk at work and am a Govt. Employee. Probably not a good thing to use TOO much electricity.

Archived