inTank Media Baskets

Help W/ Closed loop scwd

birdman204

harbingerofthefish

Birdman,

I just saw this as I don't frequent the DIY forum too much. I p[lan on the same thing with my 20, only using a HOT Mag (filter free) as the powerhead for the SCWD.

I don't know anything about Mags. What GPH are you running it on? How long does it take to switch from side to side at that GPH?

The HOT Mag I plan on using runs 250 gph, and there will only be some 8-10" betwwen the put of the pum[p and th intke of the SCWD.

harbinger, as you can see earlier, i was using the quiet one at 296gph, it had a total head height of about 2 feet, so the pump was still rated at around 250 gph, by the time the scwd take it's 80% and the bends for the returns slow it down, you will probably want more flow, i switched to a mag 3 with the same head height, but added 1/2 locline, with splits, so there are 2 outlets on each side, but the flow is too dispersed, when i take it out of the tank for final mounting, i am gonna remove the lockline and just run the 1/2 inch pvc outlets, i think this will be perfect for a fore reef (lots of motion) type habitat. If you already have the magnum try it out, if you are not happy, then spend the extra money and get an inline and plumb a separate intake (not that hard). That's my 2 cents, hope it helps, lemme know if you have other q's

harbingerofthefish

Birdman-

thanks for the info. yeah, I already have the hot mag so i'll give it a shot.

My new tank is on order, so maybe in a few weeks I can post up some of the outcomes of my experiment.

thanks again

You can put it together if you know the dimensions and tryit out in your bathtub or a rubbermaid container. I also recommend not using the locline, I am removing mine today. It gives it much more of a wave effect with just the 1/2 inch pvc than using the locline, otherwise it come out like powerheads again. this way, it almost works like a surge devcie in the nano. Plus another reason i wanted to do it was to minimize the clutter. One half inch locline is in no way smaller than the microjets i used to have:D Again if your not happy, dont worry about spending the extra money on another pump. it will be worth it ;)

Ok, so I want to make one of these for my 20 Long. So should I get a Mag 5? This is a softie tank so I need it to be lower flow. I am going to put ball valves on the intake and on the two outputs from the SCWD to control any flow problems. I am basically going to build it according to the link and the pics above. Anything else I should know before I go buy stuff?

The one in the link has an extension on the intake pipe. The part with the T in it. What is the point of this and do you need it. I don't see one on the one above.

The intake tube baxically goes in the tank nearly to the bottom, although this can be changed to suit your setup, over the lip of the tank, and back down to the bottom level of the tank where the pump is. I have the pump on the same level table as the tank, just not in that picture above:( This way the head height stays under 2.5 feet or so. The ball valves are a good idea. ask the guy at Home Depot about removable valves, i think they are called union valves. On the 20L , I think the mag 5 would be sufficient to creat even a strong motion habitat, but w/ ball valves, you can cut it back for softies, ( although certain softies like devil hands and sinularis, not only look great in, but benefit from stronger currents ) or you can full bore it for sps! Get your barb fittings from the LFS 3/4 inch. Hope depot only sells 3/8 inch, at least around here. Ummm use teflon tape, and make sure it is TIGHT unless you are doping it up!!!! hehe You said doping. Anyways. If theres anything else lemme know!

Harbinger- from the earlier post. Side switching is random at this GPH. Itll go from one side, then go even for both, then the same side again , then the other side full bore, then both. It is very random.. Stuff like GSP looks really cool in it!! It is more consistent and much faster w/ a larger pump, IMObservation.

I used 1/2 inch. The "barb" fittings are for the vinyl tubing that you NEED for the SCWD. See the clear tubing...That is a barb type fitting. You will need 3 barb fittings. Go w/ at least 1/2 inch opening on the fitting, if not 3/4 inch. I think the SCWD has 3/4 inch openings, but they looked more like 1/2. A good LFS with plumbing parts should have these. Home Depot near me didnt carry anything over 3/8. Buy the pump and the SCWD before buying anything else. Lemme know if you need anything else.

Well, That is all in steup I believe. My quiet one was "not so quiet" The mag is a little more quiet than my quiet one was, but it does Hummm a little. Are you into stereos? Go to circuit city, and ask for a small piece of leftover "Dynamat" It is a sound deadening material about 1/4 inch thick, should solve most of your noise issues w/ any pump. Also, another Gent w/ a website i think it was http://www.sparklingfloorservice.com/tank/...closedloop.html had a mag 5 and said noise was minimal too. I tried to put the scwd in the middle to evenly distibute the time water flows from each side, i think he had a skimmer to work around though. I would do as much research as possible if noise is an issue for ya! ;)

1) Place the pump on an elevated pie pan for a few nights and let it rattle like there's no tomorrow.

2) Once your eyeballs turn completely red from lack of sleep, remove the pie pan from under the pump and replace it with a piece of rubber gasket material.

3) The pump will no longer sound as if it's making too much noise.

My Mag 7 is just noisy enough in my son's room I put it on a timer so it turns off at 9PM and on at 9AM. The softies dont seem to mind. The Remora skimmer provides 24 hour circulation.

Archived