Cultivated Reef

Is it normal for coraline algae to die off during the cycle??

southpaw23

Hi all,

I just got my tank finally setup this past weekend and got some rock for it yesterday (plan to post pics up very soon :D ). Anyways, the rocks i purchased were covered with patches of red, blue, purple coraline on it but when i woke up this morn, the patches of coraline were turning white...looked like they were dying or sumthin...

Just wanted to find out if that's normal during the cycle? i only had the lights on for perhaps an hour last nite (main purpose being the start of countless hours gazing into the tank :P ) And i was planning on probably running my lights for 3-4 hours in the day and not the regular photoperiod to reduce the algae growth although i know that there are two camps to the whole cycling with or without lights in these forums...i figured i'd meet somewhere in the middle.

I don't have test readings yet.....plan to take them sometime later today or tomorrow....but i just wanted to get a heads up on what's to be expected during the cycle....don't get me wrong..i've done plenty of reading on this....it's just that it's a whole different ball game on just reading up on something and experiencing it for yourself....one thing i know to look out for sure is the diatom bloom which from what i've read is a common part of the process. Am a little weary about possible cyano blooms and aptasia but i guess i'll know and learn as the tank progresses along.

A big thanks to Chris Marks for having this site setup though coz i'm sure it's done loads in helping new reefers out in setting up smaller tank systems...it's amazing to see the number of new ppl coming into the site in the last 4-5 months that i've been researching.....and admiring.....stuff on this site.

Well, enough of me rattling on....any feedback or input is most welcomed...

cheers

From what I've seen it is normal. Several other posts have mentioned similar things, and I have just started a tank with some base rock with some dried coraline on it. After 2 or 3 days in water, a white film or mold is covering all the places where the old coraline was.

Basically called bleaching. This is pretty normal, and is usually caused by a change in lighting or water parameters. Maintain your calcium and alkalinity levels and it shoudl turn around in time.

Wow! That was awesome...quick replies :)

Monsoon....what you described to me is exactly what's going on in my tank. How's the tank progressing? lemme know when you've got updated pics ;)

Kennerd...thanx for the info...i'll be sure to pick up my cal and alk test kits within these next few days to test the levels. If these levels are low, what would you recommend as an additive? Is it normal for ppl to add buffers and additives to the tank during the cycle? i wasn't aware of this....

Lastly, thanx loads for the input guys...it's always reassuring to know that things that appear odd to me initially are normal occurances.

I wouldn't do any dosing during the cycle. Your tank does not contain anything that will benefit from it. Your water parameters are gonn do some crazy things during the cycle. Alot of people get stressed out by whats going on in their tank during this period. Just relax and enjoy the ride.

Parience is the name of this game.

That's really good to know Jasontatro....funny how you read all these post about ppl stressing and can't seem to relate until u finally set a tank up.... :blush:

Thanx again for the reassurance buddy.... ;)

Archived