Pod Your Reef

HOB fuge Q's

drdrew

allright all you HOB fugee peeples...

do you really hang these things without additional support?

i was thinking of going for a 16 incher for my brand new 20H tank.

but the glass seems awfully thin to support the weight of that dude all full of water....can anyone ease my mind? or recommend extra support if that's the case...

also...CPR brand name or acryliccity/ebay?? any real diff besides price?

thanks all.

cpr version has little brackets on it that align the fuge in a manner that is supposed to distribute the weight.

Oh and for a Doctor, I'd have thought you'd have been wise enough to find the refugium section and posted in there (messing with ya Doc.)

DOH!

somebody throw a tarp over me, i'm a MORON!

chris, could you please move this post for me?

....and don't tell anyone our little secret.....

Sepending on how large the capacity of the fuge is in comparison to the main tank, this extra weight can do two things on smaller tanks that bigger tanks arent prone to. On a nano, your weight distribution could be leaning towards the back so much that the tank could be 'tippy'. That would require a pretty large fuge in comparison to the main tank, or, if you were to ever move your nano around (sliding it around the house while it's still full), which is one of the main benefits of a nano>>>be sure to support that fuge cecause it is making the center of gravity shift back some...enough that all it may take is a gentle bump to topple the whole setup. The other thing is weight on the back glass. On bigger tanks an extra 30 pounds or so hanging on 1/2" plate glass isnt really a big deal, or even 1/4"...heck I see employees walk around on the edges of full 40breeders on the floor to get to the tanks above at one LFS. Nanos dont often have the luxury of 1/4" plate glass. The thin glass on many nanos may support a HOB fuge alright, but it is putting alot of stress on that back glass. I prefer to give my HOB's a little extra support by stacking lumber cutoffs under them. It may not be entirely necessary, but I sure do rest easier.

Archived