Pod Your Reef

Seeking reassurance

rfkrfk

I just added about 25 pounds of Southdown sand to my 20 high set up after mixing my salt with RO/DI water two days ago. I shut down the powerheads before putting the sand in. Thing is, it looks like I poured 18 gallons of milk into the tank it's so cloudy. I know sandstorms are common, but this seems like one HUGE sandstorm. Just making sure everything will calm down and am seeking a little reassurance.

I had a sand storm in mine for about 5 days, then it got clear. Do you have rock in it? if not, thats good, that way the sand dont settle on the rock. If so, bust out the turkey baster when storm is done and bast sand off the rock. run those powerhead and all. also if no rock is in there get a cocktail shrimp and put it in close to the glass so you can see for a coupla days so that the cycle can start. when bacteria gets in the system sand begins to gravitate toward bacteria and it gets all clear. dont worry bro. all is good

I went thru the same thing

what was the magic cure for me was I added an aquaclear powerhead filter cartridge they filter down to .50 microns which will polish the water crstal clear in a few hours

Yeah, Mattie's right, be sure to run a cartridge or at least poly in the filter to clean out that gunk.

Personlly I rinsed my Southdown three or four times so I wouldn't have to deal with the foamy gunk.

Archived